Re: Ping Steve Cochran about converting from wlm to windows mail

Hi, tutor.

Steve's the guru on OE! But I can try the easy questions before he gets here. ;<)

1 run both windows live mail and windows mail on the same computer?

Only if that same computer is running Vista. WM will not run on anything else. (Well, Steve and some WM fanatics have made it work on Win7, but I like WLM better anyhow so I haven't tried that.) Officially, OE runs only in WinXP and earlier; WM runs only in Vista; WLM will run in all of OE/WM/WLM.

2. Can he import from the live mail into windows mail the address book and messages?

See 1 above. I don't think so, but Steve may know a workaround.

3. Does windows mail have the signatures feature?

Yes. There are minor differences, but this works almost the same in OE/WM/WLM.

4. Will windows mail embed moving gifs?

Dunno. Wait for Steve.

Hope this helps. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Puter Tutor" wrote in message news:u#WI9LjILHA.2276@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Steve, this is a blast from your past. I am PCC from the old OE newsgroups, we sure have missed you over the years! We have talked some in the past. Anyway...

I am hoping you can help us

My Dad got windows 7 and doesn't like the new window live mail cause no signatures, no access to source code, he can't figure out how to embed gifs, etc.

Do you know can he:

1 run both windows live mail and windows mail on the same computer?

2. Can he import from the live mail into windows mail the address book and messages?

3. Does windows mail have the signatures feature?

4. Will windows mail embed moving gifs?

I can find info out there on how to import address book and messages from OE to windows mail and to windows live mail. But he doesn't have oe6 anymore, he has windows live mail. He wants to go to windows mail so he can have the source code again.

I do hate to impose on you like this, but I am doing all kinds of searches and can't find the answers. I am hoping you can help me.

PCC aka puter tutor Teresa

  • Re: Windows 7 email program?
    ... How to make Win7 accepting Windows Mail. ... A program to back up Windows Live Mail, ... "Paul H" wrote in message ... Maybe I'll use Thunderbird, and initially just convert my main folders, then convert the others, and maybe weed out or consolidate them as I need them. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: WinMail Contacts lists dont match
    ... Windows Live Mail and had Hotmail as a POP 3 account for that one. ... right now all I have is the Windows Mail. ... This is the only thing that I have been able to find in the registry. ...
    ... Since you do have a history with computer programming, and that you said you like Windows Mail, I'd suggest that you start a new thread. ... A program to back up Windows Live Mail, ... "Paul H" wrote in message ... Maybe I'll use Thunderbird, and initially just convert my main folders, then convert the others, and maybe weed out or consolidate them as I need them. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: WinMail Contacts lists dont match
    ... I did at one time some time back have Windows Live Mail and had Hotmail as a POP 3 account for that one. ... I don't have Hotmail as a POP3 for Windows Mail as that is an account for beta testing purposes only, I don't use it for any regular email messages. ... This is the only thing that I have been able to find in the registry. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: cant retrieve email
    ... First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient. ... program which is more compatible with Windows Mail: ... Instead of switching to a different antivirus, ... to Windows Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)