Re: Windows Mail Cursor

Compared to other Windows Mail issues, there really aren't all that
many reports of cursor trouble, and most of those can be attributed
to non-optimum touchpad settings.

In the four years I have used Windows Mail I've never come across
the particular issue you report, which involves the arrow keys.

I'm not an "MS people", and MS is not interested in fixing what you
perceive to be a WM issue. MS dropped support for WM in July 2006
when the WM development team was shifted to Windows Live Mail.

"StijnDeWitt" <StijnDeWitt.4bl4kg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:StijnDeWitt.4bl4kg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

'Gary VanderMolen [MVP Wrote:
;1682236']No, it's not a Windows Mail bug. If it was, we'd be inundated
with trouble reports about it.

Actually, you *are* swamped with bug reports. Just perform a Google
search on '\"Windows Mail cursor\"'
(http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+mail+cursor) and have a look at
all those forum posts. I am not making this up!

'Gary VanderMolen [MVP Wrote:
;1682236']The few times that I've experienced erratic cursor behavior, I
was able to fix it by adjusting the properties in the mouse/touchpad
driver. If the touchpad is erratic, you can also switch to an external
mouse.

Nice tip, however this problem with the cursor has nothing to do with
the *mouse pointer* per se. It also happens when I use the arrow keys on
my keyboard to move the *cursor*. And it *only* happens in Windows Mail,
all other applications work just fine. How do you explain that with
drivers / mouse / touchpad properties?

I can reproduce the problem within seconds on my Vista PC. I just open
one of the many e-mails I received and press Reply. Then, in the reply,
I press arrow down on my keyboard and the cursor goes down. Then, when
it's at the bottom of the message, I press the Up key and expect it to
move back up. And it does, but not all the way. More often then not it
never makes it to the top, because it get's 'stuck' somewhere halfway
the message. I have to use the mouse and click somewhere else in the
message, because I am unable to use the arrow keys to move the cursor
further up. I have been using computers for long enough now to
understand how to use the arrow keys to move the cursor, it's not user
error.

I have a feeling it has something to do with HTML mails. My version of
Windows Mail is 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205). If you want me
to forward you one of the mails so you can check for yourself or further
discuss how you MS people can reproduce this bug in Windows Mail I will
be glad to help, just let me know. But accept that possibly this problem
does exist in at least some builds of Windows Mail (I have only tried
the version on my own PC, we use Outlook at work).

btw: please make those version numbers copy-pasteable, typing them over
is laborious and error-prone...

--
StijnDeWitt

  • Re: News Reader
    ... Windows Mail as I run Vista 24/7.. ... newsreader puts the cursor at the top or bottom doesn't matter to me at all. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Windows Mail Cursor
    ... it's not a Windows Mail bug. ... The few times that I've experienced erratic cursor behavior, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Windows Mail Cursor
    ... This is a bug in Windows Mail. ... Not only does the cursor sometimes jumps around, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Faint Cursor
    ... to see highlighted lines in Windows Mail. ... JoAnn Paules ... MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ... that Word, that came as bundled software, has a very faint cursor. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
  • Re: Changing attachment size in Windows Mail
    ... Vista initially gives a bigger size, it includes the total disk space ... reports the file size as 5.4MB. ... When I attach it to an email, Windows Mail ... reports the filesize as 4.56MB. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)