Re: Windows Mail Cursor

It doesn't matter if it is a bug in Windows Mail.
MSFT is not going to fix Windows Mail, as it has been deprecated in favor of Windows Live Mail.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"StijnDeWitt" <StijnDeWitt.4bl4kg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:StijnDeWitt.4bl4kg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

'Gary VanderMolen [MVP Wrote:
;1682236']No, it's not a Windows Mail bug. If it was, we'd be inundated
with trouble reports about it.

Actually, you *are* swamped with bug reports. Just perform a Google
search on '\"Windows Mail cursor\"'
(http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+mail+cursor) and have a look at
all those forum posts. I am not making this up!

'Gary VanderMolen [MVP Wrote:
;1682236']The few times that I've experienced erratic cursor behavior, I
was able to fix it by adjusting the properties in the mouse/touchpad
driver. If the touchpad is erratic, you can also switch to an external
mouse.

Nice tip, however this problem with the cursor has nothing to do with
the *mouse pointer* per se. It also happens when I use the arrow keys on
my keyboard to move the *cursor*. And it *only* happens in Windows Mail,
all other applications work just fine. How do you explain that with
drivers / mouse / touchpad properties?

I can reproduce the problem within seconds on my Vista PC. I just open
one of the many e-mails I received and press Reply. Then, in the reply,
I press arrow down on my keyboard and the cursor goes down. Then, when
it's at the bottom of the message, I press the Up key and expect it to
move back up. And it does, but not all the way. More often then not it
never makes it to the top, because it get's 'stuck' somewhere halfway
the message. I have to use the mouse and click somewhere else in the
message, because I am unable to use the arrow keys to move the cursor
further up. I have been using computers for long enough now to
understand how to use the arrow keys to move the cursor, it's not user
error.

I have a feeling it has something to do with HTML mails. My version of
Windows Mail is 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205). If you want me
to forward you one of the mails so you can check for yourself or further
discuss how you MS people can reproduce this bug in Windows Mail I will
be glad to help, just let me know. But accept that possibly this problem
does exist in at least some builds of Windows Mail (I have only tried
the version on my own PC, we use Outlook at work).

btw: please make those version numbers copy-pasteable, typing them over
is laborious and error-prone...

--
StijnDeWitt

  • Re: Windows Mail Cursor
    ... many reports of cursor trouble, and most of those can be attributed ... In the four years I have used Windows Mail I've never come across ... which involves the arrow keys. ... with trouble reports about it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: The message could not be sent. There is not enough memory-
    ... because of this bug in WinMail. ... influence of the memory used by the WinMail process), ... If you want Windows Mail to at least try to break it up into pieces, ... it would be refused by the outgoing mail server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: The message could not be sent. There is not enough memory-
    ... because of this bug in WinMail. ... influence of the memory used by the WinMail process), ... If you want Windows Mail to at least try to break it up into pieces, ... Note that whoever you're trying to send the video to may have an ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: The message could not be sent. There is not enough memory-
    ... Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail) ... because of this bug in WinMail. ... influence of the memory used by the WinMail process), ... If you want Windows Mail to at least try to break it up into pieces, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: The message could not be sent. There is not enough memory-
    ... There will be no more bug fixes for Windows Mail. ... I just tested it without a Virus Scanner running (which should have no influence of the memory used by the WinMail process), and I got the same result. ... Note that whoever you're trying to send the video to may have an ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)