Re: can't use Windows Mail - whats going on?

I have upgraded my antivirus from One Care, which was about to expire to
Microsoft Essentials. I have also tried deleting the e-mail account and then
re-creating it, doesn't work. I have also tried Windows Live Mail - but I am
still getting the same message that I get with Windows Mail - constantly
asking me to sign in so it looks like something is corrupt somewhere and I
really don't know what to do. I prefer windows mail, everything is happily
set up there but I can't afford to spend anymore time on this at the moment
as I do work for myself and I have orders mounting up whilst I waste time on
this. I will have to put up with the much inferior Yahoo! Mail

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
Windows Mail over time. As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus
should be turned off, although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all
bad effects. In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be
uninstalled/reinstalled or replaced.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

As a possible temporary fix, delete that corrupted mail account,
restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

If still no improvement, consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail,
because it is less prone to suffering bad effects from overly intrusive
antivirus programs: http://download.live.com/wlmail

"Julia" <Julia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:50333481-C80B-4CE7-9F61-7B511273146B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
done all that, still asking me to sign in and not accepting my user name and
password which I know is correct - there seems to be quite a lot of people
experiencing the exact same thing of using it for months and now it not
working - I may just ditch windows mail and find another way of getting my
e-mail because this is just STUPID and I just dont have time to play games!!!!

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers.
Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled.

If no improvement, make sure your settings agree with this:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/uk/yahoo/mail/classic/manage/pop-08.html

"Julia" <Julia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9DAAF91A-C39E-4EC8-B8F4-9DF285C44444@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a yahoo.co.uk e-mail address and have used Windows Mail in conjunction
with that e-mail address for a long time now. Two days ago it suddenly
decided that it required me to sign in to be able to retrieve/send my mail.
I have entered my username and the correct password in a whole heap of
different ways but it just keeps rejecting anything I type in even though I
know that they are correct. I have even checked all the settings against my
husband's computer and they are the same other than the username and yet he
can still use his Windows Mail account but I can't - it is so infuriating
considering that I run a business from home and I need access!!!

This is the message I keep getting after it rejects my sign in information
(I have removed my actual name for privacy reasons) - any ideas on what is
going wrong????

Account: 'my name', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR popgate argument(s) missing.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

  • Re: Cant send email from one of two accounts; can receive on both
    ... and the other account works both ways fine still. ... diabling the antivirus but to no avail. ... with Windows Mail. ... There is not error message. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Windows Security Pop-Up Requires Logon for WinMail Retrieval
    ... Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail) ... I suggest getting a free Gmail or Hotmail account and setting that up ... in your Windows Mail. ... Which antivirus are you running? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: CANNOT SEND OR RECEIVE MAIL
    ... A likely reason for the username/password failing is account corruption. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ... We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message. ... I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO USE WINDOWS MAIL FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant send email from one of two accounts; can receive on both
    ... and the other account works both ways fine still. ... diabling the antivirus but to no avail. ... Does it sound like I have to not use McAfee ... with Windows Mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant send email from one of two accounts; can receive on both
    ... and the other account works both ways fine still. ... diabling the antivirus but to no avail. ... Does it sound like I have to not use McAfee anymore? ... with Windows Mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)