Re: can't use Windows Mail - whats going on?

Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
Windows Mail over time. As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus
should be turned off, although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all
bad effects. In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be
uninstalled/reinstalled or replaced.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

As a possible temporary fix, delete that corrupted mail account,
restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

If still no improvement, consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail,
because it is less prone to suffering bad effects from overly intrusive
antivirus programs: http://download.live.com/wlmail

"Julia" <Julia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:50333481-C80B-4CE7-9F61-7B511273146B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
done all that, still asking me to sign in and not accepting my user name and
password which I know is correct - there seems to be quite a lot of people
experiencing the exact same thing of using it for months and now it not
working - I may just ditch windows mail and find another way of getting my
e-mail because this is just STUPID and I just dont have time to play games!!!!

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers.
Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled.

If no improvement, make sure your settings agree with this:
http://help.yahoo.com/l/uk/yahoo/mail/classic/manage/pop-08.html

"Julia" <Julia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9DAAF91A-C39E-4EC8-B8F4-9DF285C44444@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a yahoo.co.uk e-mail address and have used Windows Mail in conjunction
with that e-mail address for a long time now. Two days ago it suddenly
decided that it required me to sign in to be able to retrieve/send my mail.
I have entered my username and the correct password in a whole heap of
different ways but it just keeps rejecting anything I type in even though I
know that they are correct. I have even checked all the settings against my
husband's computer and they are the same other than the username and yet he
can still use his Windows Mail account but I can't - it is so infuriating
considering that I run a business from home and I need access!!!

This is the message I keep getting after it rejects my sign in information
(I have removed my actual name for privacy reasons) - any ideas on what is
going wrong????

Account: 'my name', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR popgate argument(s) missing.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

  • Re: Outlook Express
    ... Also, since Norton corrupted that account, there may be no improvement ... until you delete the account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account. ... Disabling the Norton's email scanning is sometimes insufficient. ... If that cured the problem, try reinstalling Norton Antivirus, but use 'custom' ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cannot send email but can receive.
    ... Norton security products are among the top three troublemakers for ... Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, another option is to upgrade to ... Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ... problems with Windows Mail over time. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cannot receive or send Windows Mail
    ... Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. ... I set Windows Mail as my default and entered the POP3 and SMTP ... Antivirus, restarted my computer. ... email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Corrupted Windows Mail
    ... I had McAfee on my computer but have ... McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail. ... First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Able to send but not receive Emails
    ... Client-side security programs can interfere with Windows Mail. ... Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ... Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Fraud, Phone, etc. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)