Re: Two problems - invisible folders and error 0x800C0155

Any idea whether installing Windows Live Mail will create about as many
new files as those already in the Windows Mail database, or whether
it's possible to tell it to import just a few of the folders at a time? I
to already have enough files to cause problems with backups.

Robert Miles

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
About the only suggestion I have is to install Windows Live Mail
and see if it finds the missing messages when it imports from WM.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP program:

<robertmiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yes. No change in the problems after the File Statistics function, the
Database function, and thr Repair Database function, on either of the

Did find something interesting on the 32-bit machine - it has two sets of
for at least the Local Folders, one apparantly unchanged since I tried to
clean up the database manually several months ago by deleting a few of the
largest files, only to find that at least one of them was the index file
Windows Mail uses to find the other files. Also, clicking on File, then
Identities apparantly makes Windows Mail find the second set and offer me
the chance to import it, although without telling me whether this will
all the deletions of posts I've done since then.

Got an internet connection to the third machine, and am planning to buy a
cable to make it more permanent.

Robert Miles

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Have you tried the other functions in the WMUtil program, particularly
"Repair Database"?
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP program:

<robertmiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
My 32-bit Vista SP2 computer now has Windows Mail problems where most of
Local Folders (all of them except the Inbox) are invisible to Windows
I've checked the file structure, and found that the files for the missing
folders (probably over 2 million of them) are still present, but Windows
Mail won't let me see them.

One of my 64-bit Vista SP2 computer now shows the 0x800C0155 error every
time I try to start Windows Mail, and the program won't start. I'm
a rather long program on that machine I don't want to interrupt (about 40
CPU hours since the last checkpoint; about 70 more CPU hours before
or I'd try rebooting it.

My other 64-bit Vista SP2 computer has not had a working internet
for the last month.

I've had enough backup problems that all my backups for the last month
failed, on all three machines.

Any idea how to fix these problems?

Any idea where Vista keeps the list of successful backups so I can tell
antivirus program to stop interfering with the normal use of that file,
since I've seen signs that that causes at least one of the backup

The latest problems started about the time I ran the WMUtil program on
first two machines to look for zero-length newsgroup posts files; it
close to 29000 of them, which I told it to delete.

It's getting late at night, so more details tomorrow if needed.

Robert Miles

Relevant Pages