Re: Windows Update kills Windows Mail on Windows 7

Which file version ?
Post patch on a Vista Sp2 (x86)
msoe.dll and inetcomm.dll are 6.0.6002.18197

The first goes in the Windows Mail folder, the latter in System32

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"Dave" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O#qxbZi8KHA.1436@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Winston.
I had seen that on Sevenforums, and got the files extracted, but I don't know what to do with them. I tried copying a couple of them, but I couldn't get WM to work.
I'll have to keep playing with them.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"...winston" <winstonmvp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:urOuNkh8KHA.3540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The files are probably extractable from the Vista x64 msu file which is available as a link in the Security Bulletin, though I suspect finding the correct one(s) after extracting the msu and cab files could become a bit messy due to multiple folders/subfolders/manifests etc if not familiar with extraction. The subfolders contain the dlls.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928636
<qp>
If you are not extracting a hotfix package, create a folder that is named C:\MSUFolder, and then save the MSU file to this folder.
At a command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
c:
cd c:\MSUFolder
expand -F:* Saved_MSU_File_Name.msu c:\MSUFolder
expand -F:* Saved_MSU_File_Name.cab c:\MSUFolder
<qp>

Iirc, both sets of commands need to be done(the first to extract the contents of the Msu file, the latter for the subfolders containing the updated dlls)

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"Dave" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:udQ87Jh8KHA.1888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've heard that it only affects 64 bit W7 machines, like mine was.
I don't have a 64 bit Vista to copy the file from, ATM.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate
http://download.live.com/wlmail

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uqFl6ug8KHA.1888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you have installed Windows Mail on a Windows 7 computer,
yesterday's update contains a KB978542 patch which changes msoe.dll so
it won't run on Windows 7. I had warned about these types of issues
when Win7 was first released. Microsoft claims it was done for security
reasons, see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-030.mspx

To get it working again, replace the new non-working copy of msoe.dll
in Windows 7 with a copy of the new patched version of msoe.dll from a
Vista machine.

Note: I ran into permissions issues when trying to delete the non-working
msoe.dll, so rather than fighting that, I renamed the Win7 Windows Mail
directory to "Windows Mail-X", then I copied and pasted the Windows Mail
directory from the Vista machine. I suspect that Windows Mail will become
less and less compatible with Win7 as time goes along.

  • Re: Word 2007 has stopped working on Vista Home Premium
    ... I probably earlier said it was worse when I tried to open a file first than using the shortcut icon on the desktop, but should have clarified that I normally use start/computer rather than than windows/e to open these files. ... I called them and was told the only driver available now is the one that comes with Vista. ... When I click the desktop icon, it is less than 50% crashes. ... I don't know how to find the startup folder in Vista. ...
  • Re: unable to find backup files when I returned from Vista to XP
    ... I am running Windows XP home edition. ... "access denied" message rather than simply not displaying a folder tree. ... diversity of backup media. ... removed Vista I went to F: and actually READ some of these files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: old mail
    ... In Vista, that is Windows Mail, by default, but, as in Windows 7, Windows Live Mail and any of a wide selection of third-party mail/news handlers may be installed. ... Is it safe to just select everything in this folder and delete them? ... > delete emails, I use the "shift delete" option. ...
  • Re: Office 2007 install fails with a setup cannot continue message
    ... I used WinRar to make a Hard Drive Folder. ... Terry Farrell wrote: ... Ultimate (nothing else was installed, just Vista, no updates or anything ... I get the same error on both Windows XP and Windows Vista, ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)