Re: Can not send email, no messages

Thanks for reporting back. It certainly is a mystery!
If you ever solve it, let us know.

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:751366E5-FDB2-4E35-AA2C-5E4B293FB6FE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes you are correct it does not make sense, However it still does not work on
the XP machine. I can't explain it, although I have extensive computer
background (used to be a UDB/Mainframe DBA at IBM). Downloaded Thunderbird
and Incredimail client and they both work fine, unfortunately I can not re
instal Windows mail.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

That doesn't explain why it also failed with Outlook Express on your Windows XP computer.
Have you retried it on that computer? Perhaps it was a temporary server problem.

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:73475402-7600-46A8-BAB9-CCAEA185A932@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just installed Thunderbird and it works, I guess something is wrong with
Windows Mail

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

That last test (from a different computer) pretty well confirms that the problem
is on the mail server's end.

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:26EB930F-651A-4E5D-8397-2C3F7BDECD76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I tried the same email account on a different computer (this one with XP and
outlook express) and the same happened. I will call my ISP provider in the
morning and see what is going on. My email can send from their webmail but
not from resident email, somehow it is being blocked and I think it is at
their end.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

Since both WM and WLM have the same symptom, that tends to confirm
that the problem is not with your email program.
Can you try a different SMTP server, perhaps from a free Gmail account.
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86383

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:52DDF0F2-9DE8-4780-8714-B3C338709012@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just completed updating to live mail and the same thing, it will not send. By
not send I mean it is in the sent folder, but the recipient is not getting
the mail

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

By "unable to send" you still mean that although a copy of the outgoing
message is put in the Sent Items folder, it never arrives at the recipient?

After uninstalling McAfee, did you use the special McAfee removal tool
I mentioned? If yes, the only remaining remedy is to upgrade to
Windows Live Mail .

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:53E75BC8-17D0-4BE5-9500-E68818D34D5E@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I removed McAfee, removed my email account, re started the computer, added
the account information. Tried to send email with and without authentication
at server, still unable to send.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
Sometimes it takes a while before symptoms start showing up.
First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient.
Next, delete that email account (because it has been corrupted by McAfee),
restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

If the problem continues, the only way you can prove or disprove that
McAfee is the culprit is to uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
If you decide to replace McAfee, we can recommend a free antivirus
program which is more compatible with Windows Mail:

Instead of switching to a different antivirus, another option is to upgrade
to Windows Live Mail (WLM), which is more resistant to the adverse effects
of overly intrusive antivirus products: http://download.live.com/wlmail

Even with WLM, you must disable email scanning in the antivirus,
for the reason explained here:

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C98B7751-088E-435B-9071-C0E1749C50A2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Since Monday I can not send messages in Windows Mail under Vista. Seems ok
from my end, goes into the Outbox then it appears in the Sent items folder.
Stopped MCcafee, established a new account with my IP provider, even when I
send one to myself it gets sent but never arrives. I can receive ok.
.