Re: Windows Update kills Windows Mail on Windows 7

I can now confirm that the patched Vista version (32-bit) of
msoe.dll works successfully for me in Windows 7.

"Dave" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eBb8zaj8KHA.1560@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FWIW, someone has posted the msoe files for both 32 and 64 bit on
Sevenforums...
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail-13.html

The patched 64 bit one seems to work ok for me.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
?
Inetcomm.dll is not in my Windows Mail directory. I did find a copy in
the System32 directory. I believe it is the patched (newest) version.
My Windows Mail appears to be working fine in Win7 without doing
anything with inetcomm.dll. Admittedly, I only use WM for newsgroups,
so there may be added considerations for mail functionality.

"...winston" <winstonmvp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Just so folks are clear, Windows Mail executable isn't what's patched by
the KB. It appears inetcomm.dll is also updated, thus if
not copying(recopying) the entire Vista Windows Mail directory to a
Windows 7 unit both dll's should to ensure the integrity of the
patch.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
If you have installed Windows Mail on a Windows 7 computer,
yesterday's update contains a KB978542 patch which changes msoe.dll so
it won't run on Windows 7. I had warned about these types of issues
when Win7 was first released. Microsoft claims it was done for security
reasons, see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-030.mspx

To get it working again, replace the new non-working copy of msoe.dll
in Windows 7 with a copy of the new patched version of msoe.dll from a
Vista machine.

Note: I ran into permissions issues when trying to delete the
non-working
msoe.dll, so rather than fighting that, I renamed the Win7 Windows Mail
directory to "Windows Mail-X", then I copied and pasted the Windows Mail
directory from the Vista machine. I suspect that Windows Mail will
become
less and less compatible with Win7 as time goes along.

  • Re: Windows Vista
    ... Windows XP is currently allowing? ... 1.Windows Vista doesn't exist yet, and anything anybody can tell you about ... Personally I power on my computer when I get up in the morning, ... Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant start up windows mail
    ... Not sure which "repair" you are referring to, but re-installing Vista ... Windows every two years or so, ... Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ... Sounds like Vista is not recognizing the folder type. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Security
    ... After installing and patching Vista Service Pack 2 on my Vista Ultimate, ... Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and the Malicious Software Removal tool. ... That might be an indication that you have a malware infection. ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience ...
  • Re: Security
    ... After installing and patching Vista Service Pack 2 on my Vista Ultimate, ... Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and the Malicious Software Removal tool. ... That might be an indication that you have a malware infection. ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience ...
  • Re: will word tell me how long I have spent typing
    ... I deserted it when they did a security update to IE7 about the same time that IE8 was launched. ... Perhaps it's because it's such a stark contrast from Vista. ... Vista and just waiting to get a laptop with Windows 7. ... Microsoft MVP (Word) ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)