Re: All Unread Messages are loaded into Inbox As Read

My original post identified that I was using IMAP, but I'm wondering if you
would have suggested something different than you did?

The issue really isn't "resolved", but I have an acceptable workaround. :-)

Rick

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Well, I didn't know you were using IMAP. I'm glad its resolved.

steve

"rickster" <rickster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Well, I tried everythting suggested by Gary, VistaRookie and Steve and
was
unable to get my issue resolved. I suspect it has something to do with
AOL
and IMAP...

However (and are you ready for this?) I decided to delete my AOL IMAP
account in Windows Mail and set it back up as a POP3 server instead and
found
that the Inbox messsages work perfectly with POP3! Them come in as
UNREAD
and stay that way until I read them. The downside of this for me is
that
POP3 doesn't support synchronization of my AOL personal folders like
IMAP
does. So I just re-established them as Local Folders and copied them
over
from the AOL IMAP server. Not a perfect solution but one I can easily
live
with.

Thanks again for the assistance everyone provided!

Rick

"rickster" wrote:

Tried what you suggested but that didn't help. See my last reply to
VistaRookie. Could be AOL doing it...

Thanks for your suggestions.

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

There could be some kind of indexing or internal search components
doing
it, but I've never seen such. I would try what I suggested and then
see
if some MS service might be involved.

steve

"rickster" <rickster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve,

My last attempt to fix this was to do a clean vista install on my
machine.
After loading vista and the core drivers needed on my machine, I
configured
Mail and tried again before any real applications like McAfee were
installed.
The problem persisted at that point.

I agree with your point at the end about something tampering with
the
database and/or triggering them to be marked read but this happened
after the
clean install too... Could it be Microsoft's Malware tool, Windows
firewall
or some other Vista tool?

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Okay, go to Start | Search and type msconfig. Then go to the
Startup
items tab and see what is running at startup. Disable everything and
then
go to the Services tab and disable all non-Microsoft services. Then
reboot and see if you have the same phenomenon.

Its a very odd issue and my only thought is that something is
either
tampering with the database or its some other process that is somehow
triggering them to be marked read.

steve

"rickster" <rickster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I ran some additional tests with Windows Mail open on my
desktop...

I sent several e-mails to myself every 3-4 minutes with the
first one
arriving in my inbox at 8:02 AM. At this point I had about 6
e-mails
sitting
in my Inbox and correctly marked as UNREAD. At about 8:20, I
shutdown Mail
and launched it again. My 6 e-mails were still correctly marked
as
UNREAD.
I began watching my Inbox at 8:30. At 8:32 before my eyes they
all
switched
to being READ ---one after the other... I repeated this test
and the
same
thing happened again.

It appears as though some process is running 30 minutes after a
new
e-mail
first arrives in my Inbox and it is changing their status to
READ for
no
apparent reason.

Does anybody have any suggestions and/or ideas on how to trap
what is
causing this?

"rickster" wrote:

So I took my problem to the extreme... I did a clean reinstall
of
Vista,
configured Windows Mail for my AOL IMAP server and before I
installed McAfee
I launched Mail. Same problem!!! E-mails get loaded into the
Inbox
as READ.
UGH!

Here's an interesting twist... Any e-mails that are deemed as
Junk
are
automatically put i the Junk folder and they ALWAYS stay marked
as
UNREAD!

Also noticing that once Mail is open, new incoming e-mail stays
marked as
UNREAD for an extended period of time ie. in one test an
e-mail 1
arrived
at 7:22. E-mail 2 arrived at 7:52 at which time both E-mail 1
and
E-mail 2
were automatically marked as READ although I had never opened
either
of them.

I am out of ideas... Any thoughts would be apprecaited.

"VistaRookie" wrote:

You could try a system restore to a date before this
started happening.

To be sure it isn't McAfee, you will have to completely
uninstall McAfee using their removal tool and reinstall
with the scanning option turned off.

McAfee removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033

Details why scanning isn't necessary:
'OETips' (http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3) 'Why you
don't
need
your anti-virus to scan your email - A Cloudeight Information
Avenune
Tutorial'

(http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm)

rickster;1681599 Wrote:
I have McAfee Security Center and I've disabled the e-mail
and
IM
filtering to no avail. I'll try disabling the Virus Scan
and
see if
that does anything. I have no other e-mil accounts besides
the
AOL
account. What's somewhat peculiar is that when I first
launch
Windows
mail it loads up the Inbox with new messages and they are
all
identified
as Read. If a new e-mail comes in while I have Windows
mail
open, it
comes in as Unread (bold). Then after some period of time
which
haven't measured yet (but several minutes for sure), it
gets
marked as
Read without it ever being viewed or opened.

I suspected it was the READ setting that allows you set a
time
limit
for
when a message automaticallt turns to Read when viewed for
"n"
seconds
but I disabled that and it did nothing. I'm wondering if
it's
because
at one time
I had the AOL account set up as a POP3 server and then
switched
IMAP. I
deleted that POP server account but I wonder if it's still
"hanging
aroud"
and intercepting mail?. I wish there was a way to
uninstall and
or
repair
Windows Mail. Something's just flakey...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:
[color=blue]
Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause
problems
with
Windows Mail over time.

Do you have any other mail account besides AOL, and if
so,
does
it have the same issue?

Microsoft MVP program: 'Microsoft Most Valuable
Professional'
(http://mvp.support.microsoft.com)

--
VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
here:
'*Google*' (http://www.google.com)