Re: Windows Update kills Windows Mail on Windows 7

It does not kill WinMail in Win7. msoe.dll in Win7 is a functional application (from winmail.exe) that is invisible in Win7. If you update the dll, then you will get another invisible application running when you click on Winmail.exe. If you want a visible application, then you will have to replace the updated dll with one that renders Winmail visible.

steve

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uqFl6ug8KHA.1888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you have installed Windows Mail on a Windows 7 computer,
yesterday's update contains a KB978542 patch which changes msoe.dll so
it won't run on Windows 7. I had warned about these types of issues
when Win7 was first released. Microsoft claims it was done for security
reasons, see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-030.mspx

To get it working again, replace the new non-working copy of msoe.dll
in Windows 7 with a copy of the new patched version of msoe.dll from a
Vista machine.

Note: I ran into permissions issues when trying to delete the non-working
msoe.dll, so rather than fighting that, I renamed the Win7 Windows Mail
directory to "Windows Mail-X", then I copied and pasted the Windows Mail
directory from the Vista machine. I suspect that Windows Mail will become
less and less compatible with Win7 as time goes along.

  • Re: Windows Update kills Windows Mail on Windows 7
    ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ... If you have installed Windows Mail on a Windows 7 computer, ... when Win7 was first released. ... directory from the Vista machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: windows mail could not be started- MSOE.DLL could not be initi
    ... I logged-out of my user account and logged-in to another user account. ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ... If I went to windows mail in one of the two other user accounts (they both ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: windows mail could not be started- MSOE.DLL could not be initi
    ... command to fix this folder? ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ... If I went to windows mail in one of the two other user accounts (they both ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: cant use Windows Mail - whats going on?
    ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ... I then opened my Windows Mail as usual and tons and tons of e-mails came ... Are you able to try a different yahoo.co.uk account to see if it gives the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cannot Send Email - Error
    ... My password was working fine using webmail, using my iPhone and from my ... Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ... However, after the McAfee removal, deleting the email account, closing ... Windows Mail, then setting up the account once again - I still get the exact ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)