Re: Windows Update kills Windows Mail on Windows 7

Not true. It affected my 32-bit Win7.

"Dave" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:udQ87Jh8KHA.1888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've heard that it only affects 64 bit W7 machines, like mine was.
I don't have a 64 bit Vista to copy the file from, ATM.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
If you have installed Windows Mail on a Windows 7 computer,
yesterday's update contains a KB978542 patch which changes msoe.dll so
it won't run on Windows 7. I had warned about these types of issues
when Win7 was first released. Microsoft claims it was done for security
reasons, see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-030.mspx

To get it working again, replace the new non-working copy of msoe.dll
in Windows 7 with a copy of the new patched version of msoe.dll from a
Vista machine.

Note: I ran into permissions issues when trying to delete the non-working
msoe.dll, so rather than fighting that, I renamed the Win7 Windows Mail
directory to "Windows Mail-X", then I copied and pasted the Windows Mail
directory from the Vista machine. I suspect that Windows Mail will become
less and less compatible with Win7 as time goes along.

  • Re: suggestions on upgrading to a new pc
    ... Windows 7 is still going to be Windows. ... It will just be an incremental improvement over Vista just like all other ... I've been using Win7 since the beta version, ... OSX on a netbook with 1G RAM, and you'll see what I mean. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Ubuntu Really Sucks
    ... Incompatibility with Windows & Mac ... Because ALL Linux people use Windows or Mac if they actually need to use a computer that works. ... I did give Vista a try and found the performance absolutely unacceptable... ... *however* neither Vista or Win7 had drivers for my very common SCSI card and scanner..not did they have drivers for my very common sound chip. ...