Re: All Unread Messages are loaded into Inbox As Read

Tried what you suggested but that didn't help. See my last reply to
VistaRookie. Could be AOL doing it...

Thanks for your suggestions.

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

There could be some kind of indexing or internal search components doing
it, but I've never seen such. I would try what I suggested and then see
if some MS service might be involved.


"rickster" <rickster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

My last attempt to fix this was to do a clean vista install on my
After loading vista and the core drivers needed on my machine, I
Mail and tried again before any real applications like McAfee were
The problem persisted at that point.

I agree with your point at the end about something tampering with the
database and/or triggering them to be marked read but this happened
after the
clean install too... Could it be Microsoft's Malware tool, Windows
or some other Vista tool?

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Okay, go to Start | Search and type msconfig. Then go to the Startup
items tab and see what is running at startup. Disable everything and then
go to the Services tab and disable all non-Microsoft services. Then
reboot and see if you have the same phenomenon.

Its a very odd issue and my only thought is that something is either
tampering with the database or its some other process that is somehow
triggering them to be marked read.


"rickster" <rickster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I ran some additional tests with Windows Mail open on my desktop...

I sent several e-mails to myself every 3-4 minutes with the first one
arriving in my inbox at 8:02 AM. At this point I had about 6 e-mails
in my Inbox and correctly marked as UNREAD. At about 8:20, I
shutdown Mail
and launched it again. My 6 e-mails were still correctly marked as
I began watching my Inbox at 8:30. At 8:32 before my eyes they all
to being READ ---one after the other... I repeated this test and the
thing happened again.

It appears as though some process is running 30 minutes after a new
first arrives in my Inbox and it is changing their status to READ for
apparent reason.

Does anybody have any suggestions and/or ideas on how to trap what is
causing this?

"rickster" wrote:

So I took my problem to the extreme... I did a clean reinstall of
configured Windows Mail for my AOL IMAP server and before I
installed McAfee
I launched Mail. Same problem!!! E-mails get loaded into the Inbox
as READ.

Here's an interesting twist... Any e-mails that are deemed as Junk
automatically put i the Junk folder and they ALWAYS stay marked as

Also noticing that once Mail is open, new incoming e-mail stays
marked as
UNREAD for an extended period of time ie. in one test an e-mail 1
at 7:22. E-mail 2 arrived at 7:52 at which time both E-mail 1 and
E-mail 2
were automatically marked as READ although I had never opened either
of them.

I am out of ideas... Any thoughts would be apprecaited.

"VistaRookie" wrote:

You could try a system restore to a date before this
started happening.

To be sure it isn't McAfee, you will have to completely
uninstall McAfee using their removal tool and reinstall
with the scanning option turned off.

McAfee removal tool:

Details why scanning isn't necessary:
'OETips' ( 'Why you don't
your anti-virus to scan your email - A Cloudeight Information


rickster;1681599 Wrote:
I have McAfee Security Center and I've disabled the e-mail and
filtering to no avail. I'll try disabling the Virus Scan and
see if
that does anything. I have no other e-mil accounts besides the
account. What's somewhat peculiar is that when I first launch
mail it loads up the Inbox with new messages and they are all
as Read. If a new e-mail comes in while I have Windows mail
open, it
comes in as Unread (bold). Then after some period of time which
haven't measured yet (but several minutes for sure), it gets
marked as
Read without it ever being viewed or opened.

I suspected it was the READ setting that allows you set a time
when a message automaticallt turns to Read when viewed for "n"
but I disabled that and it did nothing. I'm wondering if it's
at one time
I had the AOL account set up as a POP3 server and then switched
deleted that POP server account but I wonder if it's still
and intercepting mail?. I wish there was a way to uninstall and
Windows Mail. Something's just flakey...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:
Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems
Windows Mail over time.

Do you have any other mail account besides AOL, and if so,
it have the same issue?

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP program: 'Microsoft Most Valuable Professional'


10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
'*Google*' (
Posted via