Re: Can't send e-mail from laptop

Sorry, my standard reply for that issue did not address the fact that
you had already given me your antivirus information.
Antivirus-related issues are extremely variable. Just because it works
perfectly on your desktop is no guarantee of 100% compatibility with
Windows Mail on a different PC or even a different user or different
mail account on the same PC.

Norton security products are among the top three troublemakers for
Windows Mail. You've already tried the easiest solution, disabling the
email scanning. You didn't say if you tried my next suggestion,
delete that mail account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

Disabling Norton's email scanning is sometimes insufficient. If so,
do a trial uninstall, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Socket errors are too general to be of much use in troubleshooting.

"mazorj" <mazorj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:erfsleU8KHA.5476@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gary,

As noted, I'm using Norton - on both my laptop and desktop. Desktop can
send e-mails, laptop can't. Have turned off all Norton e-mail checking on
the laptop, no help. The desktop sends e-mails even with the Norton inbound
and outbound scanning still running.

Tried deleting and recreating the Account for Verizon - no help.

The link was informative but not productive, since turning off e-mail
scanning did nothing.

Since it's a Socket error specific to the laptop (as described in my OP
below), is there anything to pursue down that avenue? Some corrupted file
related to the e-mail function?

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
That problem can be caused by interference from an antivirus program.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

As a possible temporary fix, delete that corrupted mail account,
restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

"mazorj" <mazorj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm getting the following error message when Windows Mail (Vista 64 Home
Premium SP1) tries to send e-mails from my laptop:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject ..., Account:
'verizon.net', Server: 'outgoing.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Downloading incoming mail is not a problem, and I obviously can post to
newsgroups. Although this is a new problem, I turned off Norton's
checking
of outgoing mail - no change. Verizon had us change to Port 587 last year
so that's not the issue either.

WM does send e-mail from my desktop so apparently the problem is specific
the laptop. Any ideas?

.