Re: Update - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

I clicked on the suggest forum for "Programs" and I posted the following question:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaprograms/thread/12291a47-0526-47d3-b478-367de89e9685

I have a feeling that it isn't the right place for it. I only recently tried the usenet newsgroup for my question about Windows Mail and I found a high level of expertise and helpful discussion. But there were a huge number of posts that were almost identical to others and apparently not many people search the headers or do other research, so the signal-to-noise ratio is rather low. The forum seems OK, and I have found myself gravitating to web based forums for other things, especially where embedded photos and HTML formatting are useful.

Probably I will need to get on the MSDN forum for more technical questions such as the one I posted in Answers, as it has to do with application development and different form sizes on XP, Vista, and XP. The "Programs" group seems to be more for newbies who are having the usual problems of installing and running programs others have written, and not their own.

Thanks for the help you guys have given me recently.

Paul

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eWhqcyJ8KHA.4604@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks. I haven't decided yet if I will become active in the Answers forums.

"Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:e8Nm9nJ8KHA.1316@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In the past, when a forum got lots of off-topic posts, Microsoft just closed
the forum. They do not try to solve the problem in any other way. In one
instance at least, the forum (Visual Studio General) was for a very active
product.

In a side-note, note that they call the forums "social" (as in
"social.answers.microsoft.com"), which confuses people into thinking they
are some type of social-networking or whatever. I think Microsoft does not
intend any of the social forums to be used for socializing. They sure appear
to be intentionally confusing people.

The MSDN forums have moderators, both Microsoft representatives and
volunteers, that monitor the forums. The moderators have the ability to move
threads to an off-topic area. I hope they make you a moderator so you can
clean things up. I really do. I think you are very fair and reasonable and
they need you for that.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I consider this to be the death knell for Windows Mail, at least for its
support.

The replacement forum for this newsgroup is not very suitable:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaprograms/threads

That forum has 17362 posts, most of which have nothing to do with mail,
let alone Windows Mail. Windows Mail users coming to that forum will
become extremely frustrated by the poor signal-to-noise ratio (by 'noise'
I mean posts having noting to do with Windows Mail).

Microsoft, this is a great disservice to your customers!

<nntp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly
finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.
This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it
easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies
and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging
healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft
will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up
the
NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
you to participate in this forum or forum category:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaprograms/threads .
An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

Should you want to visit the Microsoft Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

.