Re: Update - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

I consider this to be the death knell for Windows Mail, at least for its support.

The replacement forum for this newsgroup is not very suitable:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaprograms/threads

That forum has 17362 posts, most of which have nothing to do with mail,
let alone Windows Mail. Windows Mail users coming to that forum will
become extremely frustrated by the poor signal-to-noise ratio (by 'noise'
I mean posts having noting to do with Windows Mail).

Microsoft, this is a great disservice to your customers!

<nntp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23ZgUA$A8KHA.4508@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What is Happening?
This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

Why?
As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
and discontinue support for newsgroups.

In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate in this forum or forum category: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaprograms/threads . An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

Should you want to visit the Microsoft Forums, please go to http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to
NNTP@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
    ... You can purchase Office 2010 from retail, from our OEM manufactures when you purchase a new PC, or get it direct from Microsoft, faster than ever via a new software delivery mechanism called Click-To-Run. ... We are offering 1-year of technical support included in our Office Professional 2010 SKU. ... As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; ... solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
    ... You can purchase Office 2010 from retail, from our OEM manufactures when you purchase a new PC, or get it direct from Microsoft, faster than ever via a new software delivery mechanism called Click-To-Run. ... We are offering 1-year of technical support included in our Office Professional 2010 SKU. ... As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; ... solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Final Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
    ... You can purchase Office 2010 from retail, from our OEM manufactures when you purchase a new PC, or get it direct from Microsoft, faster than ever via a new software delivery mechanism called Click-To-Run. ... We are offering 1-year of technical support included in our Office Professional 2010 SKU. ... As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; ... solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.fax)
  • Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
    ... You can purchase Office 2010 from retail, from our OEM manufactures when you purchase a new PC, or get it direct from Microsoft, faster than ever via a new software delivery mechanism called Click-To-Run. ... As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; ... solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. ... we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community
    ... Microsoft let it go merrily on, and it finally showed up in their product development with the release of MSOffice 2007. ... We are offering 1-year of technical support included in our Office Professional 2010 SKU. ... As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; ... solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)