Re: All Unread Messages are loaded into Inbox As Read

The only setting that I am aware of is here:
WM->Tools->Options->Read Tab
"Mark message read after displaying for xxx seconds"

However, that doesn't explain why it would change
an unopened email sitting there from unread to read.
I keep my setting at 5 seconds - and nothing changes
"by itself."

rickster;1683679 Wrote:
I ran some additional tests with Windows Mail open on my desktop...

I sent several e-mails to myself every 3-4 minutes with the first one
arriving in my inbox at 8:02 AM. At this point I had about 6 e-mails
sitting
in my Inbox and correctly marked as UNREAD. At about 8:20, I shutdown
Mail
and launched it again. My 6 e-mails were still correctly marked as
UNREAD.
I began watching my Inbox at 8:30. At 8:32 before my eyes they all
switched
to being READ ---one after the other... I repeated this test and the
same
thing happened again.

It appears as though some process is running 30 minutes after a new
e-mail
first arrives in my Inbox and it is changing their status to READ for
no
apparent reason.

Does anybody have any suggestions and/or ideas on how to trap what is
causing this?

"rickster" wrote:

So I took my problem to the extreme... I did a clean reinstall of
Vista,
configured Windows Mail for my AOL IMAP server and before I installed
McAfee
I launched Mail. Same problem!!! E-mails get loaded into the Inbox
as READ.
UGH!

Here's an interesting twist... Any e-mails that are deemed as Junk
are
automatically put i the Junk folder and they ALWAYS stay marked as
UNREAD!

Also noticing that once Mail is open, new incoming e-mail stays
marked as
UNREAD for an extended period of time ie. in one test an e-mail 1
arrived
at 7:22. E-mail 2 arrived at 7:52 at which time both E-mail 1 and
E-mail 2
were automatically marked as READ although I had never opened either
of them.

I am out of ideas... Any thoughts would be apprecaited.

"VistaRookie" wrote:

You could try a system restore to a date before this
started happening.

To be sure it isn't McAfee, you will have to completely
uninstall McAfee using their removal tool and reinstall
with the scanning option turned off.

McAfee removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033

Details why scanning isn't necessary:
'OETips' ('OETips' (http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3)) 'Why
you don't need
your anti-virus to scan your email - A Cloudeight Information
Avenune
Tutorial'
('Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email - A
Cloudeight Information Avenune Tutorial'
(http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm))

rickster;1681599 Wrote:
I have McAfee Security Center and I've disabled the e-mail and
IM
filtering to no avail. I'll try disabling the Virus Scan and see
if
that does anything. I have no other e-mil accounts besides the
AOL
account. What's somewhat peculiar is that when I first launch
Windows
mail it loads up the Inbox with new messages and they are all
identified
as Read. If a new e-mail comes in while I have Windows mail
open, it
comes in as Unread (bold). Then after some period of time which
haven't measured yet (but several minutes for sure), it gets
marked as
Read without it ever being viewed or opened.

I suspected it was the READ setting that allows you set a time
limit
for
when a message automaticallt turns to Read when viewed for "n"
seconds
but I disabled that and it did nothing. I'm wondering if it's
because
at one time
I had the AOL account set up as a POP3 server and then switched
IMAP. I
deleted that POP server account but I wonder if it's still
"hanging
aroud"
and intercepting mail?. I wish there was a way to uninstall and
or
repair
Windows Mail. Something's just flakey...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:
[color=blue]
Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems
with
Windows Mail over time.

Do you have any other mail account besides AOL, and if so,
does
it have the same issue?

Microsoft MVP program: 'Microsoft Most Valuable Professional'
('Microsoft Most Valuable Professional'
(http://mvp.support.microsoft.com))

--
VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
here:
'*Google*' ('Google' (http://www.google.com))

VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
here:
'*Google*' (http://www.google.com)

  • Re: All Unread Messages are loaded into Inbox As Read
    ... I sent several e-mails to myself every 3-4 minutes with the first one ... in my Inbox and correctly marked as UNREAD. ... configured Windows Mail for my AOL IMAP server and before I installed McAfee ... I had the AOL account set up as a POP3 server and then switched to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: All Unread Messages are loaded into Inbox As Read
    ... My last attempt to fix this was to do a clean vista install on my machine. ... I sent several e-mails to myself every 3-4 minutes with the first one ... in my Inbox and correctly marked as UNREAD. ... configured Windows Mail for my AOL IMAP server and before I installed McAfee ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: All Unread Messages are loaded into Inbox As Read
    ... I sent several e-mails to myself every 3-4 minutes with the first one ... in my Inbox and correctly marked as UNREAD. ... configured Windows Mail for my AOL IMAP server and before I installed McAfee ... I had the AOL account set up as a POP3 server and then switched to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Evolutions crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?
    ... Study your filters carefully. ... The complaint goes to simple moving e-mails from INbox to their ... ALL of these e-mails NOT deleted but moved to their final folder ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: sometimes during activesync synchronization attachments are downloaded
    ... - these are not new e-mails, they are in the main Inbox in Outlook and I ... >>Attachments download from email inbox is disabled, ... >>and sometimes during activesync synchronization attachments are ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)