Re: Sometimes can't send emails from motels

Error message please.

"Primo Man" <PrimoMan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:820D2490-F275-4862-9E94-16C483086B06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I did both of these in the motel last night and still could not send.
--
Primo Man

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

You don't have to wait until you get to a hotel where it doesn't work.
If the setting changes I recommended will correct the problem,
they will work everywhere. Try the two changes, one at a time, in the
order I gave them.
If you get a new error message, post it here for my analysis.

"Primo Man" <PrimoMan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:0489725A-BBFA-4D36-90AF-B6690E5901AF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gary, I've done just that in the past and it did not help. Tonight I am in a
different motel and am able to send emails so I'll try your suggestion again
the next time I have troubles. Thanks!
--
Primo Man

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

That's not a port 25 blocking error.
Try this: make sure you have send authentication enabled.
Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Servers.
Enable the "My server requires authentication" option.

If no improvement, change port 25 to port 587. You can make that
change after going to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties,
Advanced.

"Primo Man" <PrimoMan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:27FABF18-A4EF-40A3-A0E3-64BEB66AABAF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here are the messages:

The rejected e-mail address was 'atwood@xxxxxxxxxxx'. Subject 'LA
Fireplace', Account: 'mail.leklein.com', Server: 'mail.leklein.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 5.7.1 <atwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>: Relay
access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number:
0x800CCC79
--
Primo Man

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

Looks like you are running into a port 25 block, but I can't say for sure
until you post the complete error message.
It really has nothing to do with the port the hotel uses. It has everything
to do with the port number of the SMPT server you are using to send.
Ask the provider of your mail server if they support a port other than 25.
If they don't, the remaining workarounds when sending away from home
are as follows:

1. Use webmail for sending (via your browser).
2. If you frequently send from multiple locations, get a free Gmail account,
configure it for POP access, set it up in Windows Mail, and use that for
your sending chores. Gmail uses port 465 for SMTP, which is not blocked
like port 25 is.

"Primo Man" <PrimoMan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:FB0328A1-6198-4757-8FA6-5FBB52611AE1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No problem sending emails from home, McD's wifi, Starbucks, etc. but can't
send from some motels. Any suggestions? Thanks.
--
Primo Man

  • Re: Sometimes cant send emails from motels
    ... Primo Man ... Substitute the SMTP server belonging to your home ISP. ... Gmail uses port 465 for SMTP, ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Sometimes cant send emails from motels
    ... Primo Man ... Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Servers. ... Enable the "My server requires authentication" option. ... change port 25 to port 587. ...
    ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ... Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Servers. ... Enable the "My server requires authentication" option. ... change port 25 to port 587. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Sometimes cant send emails from motels
    ... Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ... "Primo Man" wrote: ... Substitute the SMTP server belonging to your home ISP. ... Gmail uses port 465 for SMTP, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Sometimes cant send emails from motels
    ... your use of any port 25 SMTP server other than their own. ... The latest error message indicates that the server mail.leklein.com ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)