Re: Newsgroup not starting at top, and how to import old emails from OE

Well, that's what I thought in my previous post, but then when I returned there was a thread with unread posts that were not visible until I scrolled up. Another oddity for this newsgroup is that the text in the list of newsgroups in the left pane remains black, while others turn red when there are unread posts in watched threads.

Paul

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uhtLFAv6KHA.5476@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Windows Mail behaves similarly. When I return to a newsgroup, it
displays the first unread message at the top. I presume you are able to
scroll up such that you *can* see the 'higher up' posts that you read previously.

"Paul E. Schoen" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O$d423u6KHA.1424@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oops! Today I checked the same newsgroup, and the top was still not in the
list of headers. Yet when I looked, my post had about a dozen replies. It is
bug, although more of a gnat than a scorpion. Where's the DDT!

Paul

"Paul E. Schoen" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I found that it was selecting the first unread post, and in the
rec.pets.dogs.behavior newsgroup I had been reading almost everything, so
there were a lot of read posts at the top. As long as I know that there are
only read posts at the top, I suppose it is just as well to have it select
the first unread post. Other newsgroups did not display this behavior
because I only read a small percentage of posts.

"So it's a feature, not a bug!" :)

Paul

"Paul E. Schoen" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have noticed that one newsgroup consistently shows the list of headers
starting several rows down from the top, while all others work correctly.
This is just a minor annoyance, but any ideas why this is happening and
how to correct it?

  • Re: Newsgroup not starting at top, and how to import old emails from OE
    ... I think Windows Mail gets a little confused when new messages are posted ... to that newsgroup during the same timeframe as your reading session. ... It may ignore the newest posts when deciding which post should be on the ... are unread posts in watched threads. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: OT: opening ceremony
    ... change to another newsgroup or mail folder and then come back. ... if you right-click on the mail toolbar (use View> Toolbars> Mail ... This "expiry" can also be turned off, again on a per-'group basis, and individual posts can also be marked to be kept; ... displays threads containing any unread posts above those containing only read ones. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • none existant unread posts
    ... In this newsgroup, and only this newsgroup, my folder display shows an number of unread posts ...
    ... Today I checked the same newsgroup, and the top was still not in the list of headers. ... It is bug, although more of a gnat than a scorpion. ... "Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message ... As long as I know that there are only read posts at the top, I suppose it is just as well to have it select the first unread post. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Another 1000+post flood on the horizon
    ... What do you mean with "active posters might at least agree to mitigate ... hit 1001 posts. ... I prefer to display only unread posts and that is what I normally see. ... There is ordinarily no reason to see how many total articles there may ...
    (talk.origins)