Re: Newsgroup not starting at top, and how to import old emails from OE

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eCY2FWh6KHA.5464@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You seem to be laboring under some misconceptions.
The mail program that comes with Vista is called Windows Mail,
not Microsoft Mail.

Yes, I realize that now. Microsoft <> Windows :)

OE groups mail into DBX (not MDX) folders.

MDX I realize now is a multiple index file used in dBase IV and the Borland database engine (which I use).

OE saves contacts in a WAB file.
Windows Mail can import from OE's DBX and WAB files.
OE can't be installed on a Vista computer.

I was able to import the WAB file with no problem.

I tried to import my DBX files which I have stored in C:Users\Paul\Documents\Email. I choose Outlook Express 6 and navigate to the folder but it says no files found, so it must be looking for a different extension, or maybe it does not allow this folder as a valid location. This is what I found in http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/dbx:

"DBX mail folders can be imported into Windows Mail (included with Windows Vista) by selecting File → Import → Messages, then choosing Import mail from an OE6 store directory and selecting the DBX folder you would like to import."

I tried to open the file in explorer but there were no applicable programs and the web search only indicated that the extension is used by Outlook Express and Visual FoxPro as a database table.

I have another laptop computer with XP and OE. I can probably connect it to my network, copy the email files over into the proper identity folder, and then extract the emails I need. But I have a huge number of emails going back to about 2003, and even though they are organized in folders such as Inbox2006Q2, some of the DBX files (such as Inbox2009) are as large as 250 MB. But once I have OE running I can organize them by date and/or sender and extract only the ones that are important.

Which newsgroup has a problem with headers starting several rows
down from the top? I've never seen this.

It is rec.pets.dogs.behavior. It seems to select the same header each time, and since it is far down in the list, it misses several at the top. If I expand the window vertically far enough, the first header appears, but the selection is still the same, at the bottom of the visible list. I think I may have seen this occasionally on other newsgroups, but not now.

Thanks for your quick response!

Paul

"Paul E. Schoen" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OL9H24d6KHA.6052@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have noticed that one newsgroup consistently shows the list of headers
starting several rows down from the top, while all others work correctly.
This is just a minor annoyance, but any ideas why this is happening and how
to correct it?

I was using Outlook Express on my XP machine until it died, so I switched
everything to my Vista laptop which has Microsoft Mail. It seems just about
the same, but all the emails and contacts are now separate files rather than
the old MDX format. I found some software that can be purchased that will
extract the emails into the new EML format, but I would think Microsoft
would have a built-in or freely available utility to do this, since both are
their products and included in the OS. Can I also install OE on my Vista
computer and then save emails as EML?

Thanks!

Paul

.