Re: All Unread Messages are loaded into Inbox As Read

You could try a system restore to a date before this
started happening.

To be sure it isn't McAfee, you will have to completely
uninstall McAfee using their removal tool and reinstall
with the scanning option turned off.

McAfee removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033

Details why scanning isn't necessary:
'OETips' (http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3) 'Why you don't need
your anti-virus to scan your email - A Cloudeight Information Avenune
Tutorial'
(http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm)

rickster;1681599 Wrote:
I have McAfee Security Center and I've disabled the e-mail and IM
filtering to no avail. I'll try disabling the Virus Scan and see if
that does anything. I have no other e-mil accounts besides the AOL
account. What's somewhat peculiar is that when I first launch Windows
mail it loads up the Inbox with new messages and they are all identified
as Read. If a new e-mail comes in while I have Windows mail open, it
comes in as Unread (bold). Then after some period of time which I
haven't measured yet (but several minutes for sure), it gets marked as
Read without it ever being viewed or opened.

I suspected it was the READ setting that allows you set a time limit
for
when a message automaticallt turns to Read when viewed for "n" seconds
but I disabled that and it did nothing. I'm wondering if it's because
at one time
I had the AOL account set up as a POP3 server and then switched to
IMAP. I
deleted that POP server account but I wonder if it's still "hanging
aroud"
and intercepting mail?. I wish there was a way to uninstall and or
repair
Windows Mail. Something's just flakey...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:
[color=blue]
Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
Windows Mail over time.

Do you have any other mail account besides AOL, and if so, does
it have the same issue?

Microsoft MVP program: 'Microsoft Most Valuable Professional'
(http://mvp.support.microsoft.com)

--
VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
here:
'*Google*' (http://www.google.com)

  • Re: Cant send email from one of two accounts; can receive on both
    ... and the other account works both ways fine still. ... diabling the antivirus but to no avail. ... Does it sound like I have to not use McAfee anymore? ... with Windows Mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant send email from one of two accounts; can receive on both
    ... and the other account works both ways fine still. ... diabling the antivirus but to no avail. ... Does it sound like I have to not use McAfee ... with Windows Mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: windows mail not sending
    ... First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient. ... Next, delete that email account, ... If you decide to replace McAfee, we can recommend a free antivirus ... program which is more compatible with Windows Mail: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant send email from one of two accounts; can receive on both
    ... Kaspersky is a better antivirus than McAfee, ... malfunctioning mail account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant send email from one of two accounts; can receive on both
    ... Windows Live Mail is a desktop email program, similar to Windows Mail. ... McAfee cameon this computer. ... malfunctioning mail account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate ... McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)