Re: Security in Windows Mail

The pop3live login window appears when i attemp to view my email. when i
close it out i get the message in the previous posts.

"Keithman" wrote:

I am not trying to access the Hotmail/Live email servers intentionally. I
attempted to check my email Tuesday (4/27) evening and the previous message
appears on my screen. I cannot send or receive emails. All I get is that
friggin' message. I AM NOT DOING ANY OF THIS INTENTIONALLY!!!!!

"Dave" wrote:

Then why are you trying to access the Hotmail/Live email servers?
If you need to access a Qwest email account, you need to use Qwest's email
servers.
http://www.qwest.net/help/roaming.html#config

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"Keithman" <Keithman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I use neither of the highlighted provders. My provider is Qwest. We are
dealing with Windows Mail not Windows Live Mail. My security is provided
by
Norton 360 Premier. I tried turning off email scanning. Nothing changed. I
was not comfortable with that. I read the tutorial. Still not comfortable
with it. I'm receiving this message.

Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR authentication failed', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
Server
Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

At least all your settings are correct now. :-)

Test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail:
http://hotmail.com or http://mail.live.com.
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
Assuming webmail access is normal, but it continues to fail in
Windows Mail: Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

"Keithman" <Keithman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I did what was suggested and this is the response.

"mac" wrote:

"Keithman" <Keithman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
PARDON ME!!! I missed it!!! I made the suggested changes. This is
the
response I get. I'm getting really tired of dealing with this!!!

Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server
Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL):
Yes,
Server
Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

On the Server tab of the account, from the link:

Ensure that log on using Secure password Authentication is not
checked.
Put a check in outgoing server requires Authentication>apply>ok

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

  • Re: OK...so I installed the Windows Live mail and all its "stuff".
    ... Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. ... Problem used to be caused by Norton AntiVirus software. ... I converted over to Windows OneCare Live back in January and never had ... Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail) ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: New Server Secure Enough?
    ... > I'm going to run one of my machines as an IIS web server, ... where to get a firewall and antivirus program are all below: ... You can also use the NETSTAT -A command that comes with Windows to look at ...
  • Re: im being held in memory
    ... How can I harden my computer or server to secure it from hackers? ... Use firewall software and hardware and antivirus software that is ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Advice on antiviral program
    ... > I am running a small network with a Windows 2000 server and 4 workstations ... > all running Windows 2000 Pro. ... for free you get NAV Internet Email ... Below are some free and not-free antivirus solutions, firewall solutions, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #154
    ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... ISS RealSecure Server Sensor SSL Denial Of Service Vulnerabi... ... Roger Wilco Remote Server Side Buffer Overrun Vulnerability ... available for Microsoft Windows operating systems. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)