Re: Security in Windows Mail

I am not trying to access the Hotmail/Live email servers intentionally. I
attempted to check my email Tuesday (4/27) evening and the previous message
appears on my screen. I cannot send or receive emails. All I get is that
friggin' message. I AM NOT DOING ANY OF THIS INTENTIONALLY!!!!!

"Dave" wrote:

Then why are you trying to access the Hotmail/Live email servers?
If you need to access a Qwest email account, you need to use Qwest's email
servers.
http://www.qwest.net/help/roaming.html#config

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"Keithman" <Keithman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I use neither of the highlighted provders. My provider is Qwest. We are
dealing with Windows Mail not Windows Live Mail. My security is provided
by
Norton 360 Premier. I tried turning off email scanning. Nothing changed. I
was not comfortable with that. I read the tutorial. Still not comfortable
with it. I'm receiving this message.

Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR authentication failed', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
Server
Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

At least all your settings are correct now. :-)

Test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail:
http://hotmail.com or http://mail.live.com.
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
Assuming webmail access is normal, but it continues to fail in
Windows Mail: Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

"Keithman" <Keithman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I did what was suggested and this is the response.

"mac" wrote:

"Keithman" <Keithman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
PARDON ME!!! I missed it!!! I made the suggested changes. This is
the
response I get. I'm getting really tired of dealing with this!!!

Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server
Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL):
Yes,
Server
Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

On the Server tab of the account, from the link:

Ensure that log on using Secure password Authentication is not
checked.
Put a check in outgoing server requires Authentication>apply>ok

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

  • Re: Cannot Send Emails
    ... Norton Antivirus 2008 is among the top three troublemakers ... any problem from Windows Mail when I am at home or at my old office. ... Make sure you have send authentication enabled. ... The box for "My server requires authentication" must be checked. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Windows Mail Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
    ... Can you please tell me the antivirus that your recommend that is compatible? ... problems in Windows Mail even when their email scanning is turned off. ... Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: My experience with error code 0x800CCC0F
    ... So obviously you server would have a different name, ... headache) and get an antivirus program that can be updated. ... from AVG with its email scanning features disabled. ... This behavior can occur if you are using a component of TREND Micro ...
  • Re: Cannot send emails
    ... Also "My server requires authentication" must be checked. ... Which antivirus are you running? ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cannot receive e-mails
    ... Which antivirus are you running? ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ... GoogleMail server is 'often' down - which I doubt! ... Server Response: '-ERR incorrect password or account name', Port: 110, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)