Re: Windows Mail fails when connecting to AIM.COM mail server

‏‏كتب "mathit" <mathit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> في رسالة news:0730804D-AED5-4E09-8BBD-A020F7F8DC48@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I "fixed" it. It turns out that Symantec Endpoint Protection (anti
virus/anti spyware package) was hosing things.
I had configured it to NOT scan email, but it appeared to ignore that setting.

To test this, I disabled SEP and I could send and receive email just fine.
So, I ended up uninstalling it and I installed Norton 360.

I did not do anything to SEP lately, except to install the latest virus
signature updates. Apparently that update somehow broke things.

"mac" wrote:

"mathit" <mathit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I tried to post this earlier, but I don't see it. Sorry if this is a
> duplicate.

You got two replies to that post.

one from me as follows:

I believe that aim now use IMAP accounts instead of POP3?

See down this page for setup instructions:

http://email.about.com/od/windowsmailtips/qt/Access_a_Free_AIM_Mail_Account_with_Windows_Mail_OE.htm

------------

And one from Gary VanderMolen, as follows:

As far as I know, the AIM server does not support port 995 or SSL.
Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Advanced,
then uncheck the SSL option, which should automatically change the
port to 110.

Note: AOL/AIM doesn't officially support POP any longer, but it may
still work. If port 110/no SSL also fails, switch to the IMAP settings
recommended by AOL/AIM:

http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess#OE6

------------

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

  • Re: Windows Mail fails when connecting to AIM.COM mail server
    ... I believe that aim now use IMAP accounts instead of POP3? ... the AIM server does not support port 995 or SSL. ... AOL/AIM doesn't officially support POP any longer, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: New iPod Touch 2G and sending SMTP email...
    ... I bought an iPod Touch 2G just over a week ago. ... I have wiped the email accounts from the iPod and tried putting them ... it didn't work with SSL, ... Sending mail works for me on my 2G Touch, on my Virgin (no SSL, authentication, port 25), Gmail and MobileMe accounts. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: This keeps popping up when I open Windows Mail....
    ... Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.co.nz, Port 465, SSL enabled. ... Gmail accounts are fine. ... The server you are connected to is using a security certificate ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Problem: E-Mails senden via .Mac
    ... Weder mit SSL noch ohne. ... problemlos über den Port 25 samt SSL senden kann. ... Wenn ich auf dem gleichen Mac einen zweiten Benutzer einrichte, ... Einstellung 'Accounts'. ...
    (de.comp.sys.mac.internet)
  • Re: Installing ISA Server for first time
    ... Please note that though correct for HTTP SSL on non standard ports I'm not ... the ISA 2004 can only allow SSL 443 port go through it. ... Microsoft is providing this information as aconvenience to you. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)