Re: Converting from OE to Windows Mail

Below is the message I received from the MVP. I no longer have a problem w. OE. I originally asked how to unblock a contact I blocked by accident. I finally figured it out on my own but this response worried me and I felt I should try and remedy it. From your response, I gather I don't need to change OE and I'm in no danger using it, correct?
Previous Response:

You're running outdated and much less secure versions of OE, IE, and WinXP.
Check in at Windows Update ASAP!

You will find support for Windows Live Messenger in this newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger

....via your newsreader:

Windows Live Messenger Support Forums (new 08 March 2010)
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=2
--
OE-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uuV3o1n4KHA.620@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I doubt and MVP said to do exactly what you say. I can tell you this. From your message headers:

You are running an old version of XP that will not be supported after July, 2010. You /should/ update to XP/SP3 which will be supported until April 2014 at the least.

As Peter said, Windows Mail will not run on XP. Windows Live Mail is the successor to OE and WinMail. If you are using a POP3 account, don't let the 'Live' in the name confuse you. You can use it just as you use OE.

That said, what issues are you having with OE? That should be addressed first as changing e-mail clients may not resolve whatever issue you are having.

OE should be running just fine. Tell us what is not right with OE.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Lisa" <NoOne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O2Md$Sn4KHA.6108@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I did a scan on updates and everything is updated except SQL Server 2005 SP2 ( KB960089), which has failed to install for a long time. Is there a way to use my roadrunner ID through Live Mail? I seldom use the PC in question. I usually use my laptop, which has Vista and Windows Mail. But I recently had a question concerning OE on the desktop PC and I posted to a MS message board and was told by a MS MVP what I was using an outdated and unsafe and I should immediately update to Windows Mail/Messenger. I spent all afternoon trying to figure out how to do that?

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OmL6Hqm4KHA.4264@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lisa

For you to be able to use Windows Mail you would need to upgrade your OS to Vista. Best solution that I can recommend for you is to install the Windows Live Mail which will work under XP. Id your XP updated to SP3 and is all the necessary updates been installed ?

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Lisa" <NoOne@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O92FaOm4KHA.5464@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm using outdated OE6 on a PC with XP. Can I update to Windows Mail? I want to use my roadrunner address. I downloaded Windows Live Messager but don't see a way to do it from there.

.