Re: UK English spell checker.

I disagree. I think some of what Microsoft does is like what stock brokers do or have done in the past that was called churning; getting customers to buy and sell so the broker gets more commissions. I think that a lot of what Microsoft does is done to get additional sales. As a software developer, I support the idea of payment for services, but I think Microsoft takes advantage of the situation.

I wish we could discuss this further, but I do not want to dwell on something in this group that most people don't care about or that is only remotely related to Windows Mail. You provide so much of your time helping so many people that you certainly are entitled to dwell on it if you want to, but I will try to move off this subject.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OgJxEXS3KHA.4540@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
But unlike a music CD or movie DVD, email software is not a static,
standalone product. It needs an operating system, and many 'helper'
utilities (such as printer drivers) to make it function with the degree of
utility that we expect of it. Over the years, "what we expect of it" changes,
such as the ability to render HTML. Also, the operating system and helper
utilities have to change over time. Nothing in the computer world is static.

"Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OHmqCGR3KHA.4416@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Instead of comparing software to automobiles that does get old, it is more
appropriate to compare computer software to other software such as music and
movies. We can purchase those and they don't need to be upgraded. Computer
software might need revision due to other changes external to them, but
otherwise they forever continue to work as good as new.

In the context of this discussion, email has not changed, so I can
understand hodroyd's frustration of being forced to adjust to changes that
are not necessary.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Which money charges are you objecting to, such as when upgrading
from XP to Windows 7?
When you exchange your still running 2001 automobile for a new 2010
model, do you complain about having to pay money for it, even though
you may not use all the improvements in the newer model?

"Sam Hobbs" <Gateremovethis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Except what is the benefit in this situation? email is the same. The only
benefit is that Microsoft gets to charge us money to upgrade operating
systems. Certainly people are not benefiting from an improved email client
when the upgrade beyond XP, but Microsoft does charge us money to get
improvements, even when we can't use the improvements or don't want them.
We
must pay in order to get other improvements that we need. It is especially
frustrating when they require the purchase of newer versions of software
get fixes to previous problems, and they do do that.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
The world of software is in a constant state of flux. The sooner
you accept that, and roll with the punches, the better off you will be.

"hodroyd" <hodroyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Gary, Thank you for the input. "Windows Mail, the next step up from
Outlook
Express" is how Microsoft portrayed Mail and yet it no spell check as
such.
Now we have to change again to Live Mail? Why not just get it right first
time around, we do not all have the time to keep fiddling about with
software
issues, just so that we can get email.
--
hodroyd

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

The proper solution is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail, which has spell
check
for 37 languages, including UK English.

http://download.live.com/wlmail

>I have the same problem, NO ENGLISH ENGLISH, just Amercan English. >Half
>the
> world use ENGLISH ENGLISH, but not Microsoft. An ENGLISH dictionary
> surely is
> available on some software somewhere, can Microsoft not make programs
> that
> the world can use correctly, or had they not thought of that? Pay > your
> money,
> get screwed, laughable in this day and age. Anybody got any ideas??
> -- > hodroyd
>

> "Colin" wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to get Windows Mail to check spelling using UK
>> English?

  • Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Copyright and Patent Law?
    ... you must go to the Microsoft "company store". ... I suspect it's the fact that money is ... no public-benefit rationale in society enforcing such a thing by law. ... but are where English is the dominant language. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: problem
    ... So put your money where your mouth is and start a helpdesk, ... services to Microsoft, and give the American people what you think they ... >>> native language isn't English, Then Microsoft should at least provide ... >> English than most North Americans. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: This Device Cannot Start (code 10)
    ... Marks a locked account Send To Microsoft ... Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device ... Installed Microsoft Hotfixes Office Excel MUI (English) 2007 ... I might try this driver. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: This Device Cannot Start (code 10)
    ... Marks a locked account Send To Microsoft ... Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device ... Office OneNote MUI (English) 2007 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: How do I change the menu bar language?
    ... I only found Handheld Sync Installer and ... I got an English version of MS Office 2004 on other Mac Powerbook so I ... Microsoft or Office. ... of 29 languages or back with a single keystroke. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)