Re: Can't receive email, but can send

Do not use the setting ""Log on using secure password authentication".

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail.
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing is account corruption.
One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is to delete that corrupted
mail account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

"jamesm16" wrote in message news:OgYsmSO3KHA.1864@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello, I have waht seems to be a fairly uncommon problem that I ahve yet to find a solution for.  First some background:I run Windows Vista, Outlook 2007, and optonline.net.  My incoming server is POP3 and outgoing is SMTP.   A few weeks ago I got a virus, I was able to get rid of the virus but afterword (only afterword not before) I got a login screen when I tried to receive my email.  I logged on using my credentials, then I saw the receiving window for a few seconds, then the login popped up again.  When I exited out from the login, I got this error message.  Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92After checking the box "Log on using secure password authentication" for my incoming server (one potential solution I found online) I got this error message: Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18I can send email fine, but not receive, which has been a pretty big problem for me.  Please help.

  • Re: Cant send e-mail from laptop
    ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ... did delete the Verizon account, and recreate it from scratch. ... Disabling Norton's email scanning is sometimes insufficient. ... That problem can be caused by interference from an antivirus program. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant send e-mail from laptop
    ... Although I'll be surprised if it works, I'll try an uninstall of Norton and their clean-up link should be particularly useful... ... As I said, I did delete the Verizon account, and recreate it from scratch. ... Disabling Norton's email scanning is sometimes insufficient. ... That problem can be caused by interference from an antivirus program. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
    ... your antivirus corrupted that account when you had ... disabling email scanning is not sufficient. ... 0x800CCC90/0x800CCC92 error message and, hence, more than one fix. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: I cannot receive email
    ... This started right after an automatic windows update reboot. ... A likely reason for the username/password failing is account corruption. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ... If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Error:0x800CCC90, ErrorNumber:0x800CCC92
    ... I got Tiscali to reset the password of my second account and that ... sorted out the problem - clearly the problem was associated with Tiscali, ... First, be sure to disable its email scanning, for the reason explained here: ... Disabling a Norton Antivirus 2008 program is often insufficient. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)