Re: Windows mail

Windows Mail is sensitive to interference from certain antivirus
programs. Therefore, email scanning in any antivirus must be
disabled, for reasons explained here:

If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
do a trial uninstall of your antivirus. If no improvement, you can
always reinstall it. Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, consider
upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Note that Microsoft has essentially abandoned Windows Mail
since about July 2006, when they switched development to
Windows Live Mail .

"fuzziteddybear" <fuzziteddybear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9A06B40A-BD87-4707-B177-04268684A993@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Gary, I'm having the exact same problem as Rick. Surely the fix cannot be
to ignore the problem and do something else!
We have two other computers using the same versions of vista and windows
mail and they are still working properly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

Upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://download.live.com/wlmail

Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Rick Lathrop" <Rick Lathrop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9DEDFD44-C7B4-4307-A1B1-14BF0A3204D9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My Windows mail has stopped working. All my account information disappeared
and when I try to re-enter it I get the message "An error occurred while
reading the new account information. No changes have been made. I have tried
multiple times with the same result. I hope you can help. Thanks.

  • Re: Outlook Express
    ... Also, since Norton corrupted that account, there may be no improvement ... until you delete the account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account. ... Disabling the Norton's email scanning is sometimes insufficient. ... If that cured the problem, try reinstalling Norton Antivirus, but use 'custom' ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cannot send email but can receive.
    ... Norton security products are among the top three troublemakers for ... Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, another option is to upgrade to ... Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ... problems with Windows Mail over time. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: cant use Windows Mail - whats going on?
    ... email scanning in the antivirus ... Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, ... restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account. ... Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cannot receive or send Windows Mail
    ... Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. ... I set Windows Mail as my default and entered the POP3 and SMTP ... Antivirus, restarted my computer. ... email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Corrupted Windows Mail
    ... I had McAfee on my computer but have ... McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail. ... First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)