Re: windows mail could not be started- MSOE.DLL could not be initi

How did that folder get to be named "Steve's Contacts"?
That's not normal. You need to use the 'Move' command to change
that location to C:\Users\Steve\Contacts.

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:8E1601ED-1ECE-43D2-8B01-45CD6BF7AE24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gary, I did a right-click on the "Steve's Contacts" folder, selected
properties & the Steve's Contacts Properties box showed "location" as
C:\Users\Steve, but not C:\Users\Steve\Contacts. Did I do this correctly?

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

One other place to check:
Go to C:\Users\username and right-click on the Contacts folder, then
select Properties, Location. What does it show for location?
If anything other than C:\Users\username\Contacts, then use the
Move command to move it back to the correct location.

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:BEC49B90-C499-4CBA-BF45-17A23D2EFA00@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I inserted my flash drive in order to access my windows mail. I followed
your directions, but it said:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail. Now what?

If I went to windows mail in one of the two other user accounts (they both
work fine) would I then be able to discover useful clues that may assist me
in understanding what occurred to my user account?

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

It is possible that you inadvertently changed the path to the message store.
Go to Tools, Options, Advanced, Maintenance, Store Folder. Does it say:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
or does it point to the flash drive? If the latter, change it back to the
default location.

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C438242D-03FB-419F-835C-226207674A2B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gary, Sorry I took so long getting back. It's weird, but when I insert the
flash drive that I recently used to copy my documents & contacts, I am able
to access my windows mail. When I remove my flash drive & start windows, I
get the error messages.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

You didn't address my recommendation regarding WMUtil.

The fact that the problem only started after copying to a flash drive
may well be coincidental. I don't see a relationship.

Norton security products are among the top three troublemakers for
Windows Mail. First, be sure to disable its email scanning, for the
reason explained here:

Disabling Norton's email scanning is sometimes insufficient. If so,
do a trial uninstall, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, another option is to upgrade to
Windows Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of overly
intrusive antivirus products: http://download.live.com/wlmail

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9B4C3D9D-6840-492E-9412-22116D55C321@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gary, I have Norton Internet Security, but I didn't have any problems with
Windows Mail until I copied 3 user's documents & contacts from to my flash
drive. The other two user's Windows Mail are still ok. Also, yes I
installed Vista's SP1 and SP2 updates some time ago.

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
Windows Mail over time.

Make sure you have installed Vista's SP1 and SP2 updates.
If the problem continues, try running the various repair functions in
the WMUtil program: http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil

"Steve" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:B4DAD246-1586-4787-9EF3-26666B24DEBB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Whoops! The above error code was (0x8000FFFF). I've had this computer & its
installed programs for over a year now and this problem only developed today-
immediately following my backup file copying. I downloaded only documents &
contacts for each of the users on my computer-- I was the only unlucky user
who received the error code messages.

"Steve" wrote:

I downloaded, for backup purposes, all user documents into seperate user
folders onto my 4 GB flashdrive. I am now unable to open windows mail, but
the two other users are not having any trouble with windows mail. I have the
windows vista operating system.