Re: Cannot send emails using Windows Mail

Hi,

Yes I am talking about option 3. My away from home ISP provider is BT
Internet - is this all you require?

Many Thanks,

--
Alan

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

Are you talking about option #3, using the SMTP server that belongs to
your away-from-home Internet connection? If so, I will need either the name
of that SMTP server or the name of the connection provider. That option is
not going to work with the free Wi-Fi that is in many stores and restaurants
nowadays.

"AlanJ25" <AlanJ25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:10624E93-A06B-4B88-B6AE-6DF87A5D7314@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gary;

Could you please advise of how I could substitute the server. I am usually
quite good with my computing knowledge although this one has me stumped!

Many thanks.
--
Alan

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

The available workarounds when sending away from home are as follows:

1. Use webmail for sending (via your browser). Good for short term use.
2. Ask your home ISP if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP.
3. If you use the same away-from-home connection frequently,
substitute the SMTP server belonging to that connection. This is a bit
tricky, but if you want to go that route, I can provide more details.
4. If you frequently send from multiple locations, get a free Gmail account,
configure it for POP access, set it up in Windows Mail, and use that for
your sending chores. Gmail uses port 465 for SMTP, which is not blocked
like port 25 is.

"AlanJ25" <AlanJ25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3A4C11B0-ED68-4F57-B443-8D6AF99A2578@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi;

Would I have to change the pop and smtp server names along with the port
numbers - as changing the port number alone does not seem to have worked
either.

Just so you know the relationship between them; Virgin Media was formerly
NTL. So i still have the ntlworld email address as I was with them before
they changed over.

Do you have any more advise that you could give - otherwise I may just wait
til I am back home which is in 2days.

Many Thanks,

--
Alan

"Dave" wrote:

Yes, you are running into a port 25 block when you are trying to send while
away from home.
The Ntlworld server won't let you use port 25 from the BT network you are
connected to.
The instructions at Virgin Media only specify port 25 for Ntlworld email
address accounts.
I don't know what the relationship is between Ntlworld and Virgin, but you
might try using the servers and ports (465 & 995) given for Virginmedia
accounts.

Sorry, but I can't link to the exact help page...
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"AlanJ25" <AlanJ25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

I decided to try and set up Windows Mail on my laptop for my "ntlworld"
(which is my ISP although it is now Virgin Media) email accounts; which
seemed to have worked as it received all my emails. Although I have
discovered when I have tried to send an email it wont, generating this
error:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account:
'pop3.ntlworld.com',
Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421
aamtaout01-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [86.140.250.111]',
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

One thing I would say is I am acctually away from home at the moment, so I
am using internet in another house which is provided by a different ISP -
could this be the problem as I have used Outlook Express on my PC at home
for
these same accounts and have had no problems.

Many Thanks,
--
Alan

  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... it certainly appears to be something about the SBS configuration. ... Meridian.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... Windows SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2003 Windows IP Configuration ... 192.168.254.254) directly to a port on the router and then ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... it certainly appears to be something about the SBS configuration. ... Meridian.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... Windows SMALL BUSINESS SERVER 2003 Windows IP Configuration ... 192.168.254.254) directly to a port on the router and then ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: VBscript Error on SBS2k3
    ... DHCP Server turned of SonicWALL with VPN Pass through request for IP to ... the problem should be caused by the 4125 port. ... > | Accessories and Communications and Remote Desktop Connection? ... > | 2.In Internet Explorer on the workstation you are connecting from, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: interfaces lo:1 lo:2 lo:3? (for remote ssh tunnels)
    ... That's the problem tunneling (port forwarding) solves. ... >>can't get past the client firewall. ... > I don't understand why the server would be making the ... server initiates another connection to the client -- in this ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Can not access Web and FTP sites from Internet
    ... your IP Configuration on the Server is correctly. ... Connecting To 12.208.215.87...Could not open connection to the host, ... 1> From the result, we can see the telnet failed, which means the router ... does not forward Port 443 to SBS Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)