Re: Cannot send emails using Windows Mail

Yes, you are running into a port 25 block when you are trying to send while away from home.
The Ntlworld server won't let you use port 25 from the BT network you are connected to.
The instructions at Virgin Media only specify port 25 for Ntlworld email address accounts.
I don't know what the relationship is between Ntlworld and Virgin, but you might try using the servers and ports (465 & 995) given for Virginmedia accounts.

Sorry, but I can't link to the exact help page...
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"AlanJ25" <AlanJ25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:7AE9B5F0-8082-4925-8A90-4C951102EC76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I decided to try and set up Windows Mail on my laptop for my "ntlworld"
(which is my ISP although it is now Virgin Media) email accounts; which
seemed to have worked as it received all my emails. Although I have
discovered when I have tried to send an email it wont, generating this error:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop3.ntlworld.com',
Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421
aamtaout01-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [86.140.250.111]',
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

One thing I would say is I am acctually away from home at the moment, so I
am using internet in another house which is provided by a different ISP -
could this be the problem as I have used Outlook Express on my PC at home for
these same accounts and have had no problems.

Many Thanks,
--
Alan

  • Re: Cannot send emails using Windows Mail
    ... Could you please advise of how I could substitute the server. ... Ask your home ISP if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP. ... The Ntlworld server won't let you use port 25 from the BT network you are ... address accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cannot send emails using Windows Mail
    ... Ask your home ISP if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP. ... Would I have to change the pop and smtp server names along with the port ... The Ntlworld server won't let you use port 25 from the BT network you are ... address accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cannot send emails using Windows Mail
    ... Would I have to change the pop and smtp server names along with the port ... The Ntlworld server won't let you use port 25 from the BT network you are ... address accounts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Not your normal "cant send mail" help request
    ... No--the server does not require authentication. ... accounts I used for test did but the result was the same. ... Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server ... I know this ISP well and it DOES NOT block port 25. ...
  • Re: Cannot send emails using Windows Mail
    ... In Windows Mail go to Tools, Accounts, select your NTL mail account, ... Change the name of the outgoing (SMTP) ... Do not change the incoming server. ... Ask your home ISP if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)