Re: Windows Mail suddenly started asking for sign on information.

I have been on Port 110 for incoming messages and Port 25 for outgoing. I
have Vista and have been using Windows Mail for almost 2 years without this
problem. I have AVG 8.5 and have had it almost a year. Below is the message
I get when I unselect the SSL boxes. Thanks
Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol:
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
PDP

"Gary VanderMolen [MVP]" wrote:

I don't see any evidence here
http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Email/Setup+And+Use/QuestionsOne/86782.htm?caseRef=EmailSettings&solnCenter=HighSpeed
that Verizon supports advanced port settings or SSL.
Please post the error message you get with SSL unselected
and using port 110 instead of port 995 for the incoming server.

Also, if you get an error with port 110, which antivirus are you running?
Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time.

Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"PDP" <PDP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:11613BEF-7778-4A6F-9C9F-2658593C1513@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Windows mail started asking for sign on information but will not accept
the information. I am getting the below message. I have gone into "tools",
"accounts", and changed the settings without success as well as "advanced"
and clicked on the SSL boxes for both (they were initially not checked) all
without success. Help! Thanks
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net',
Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes,
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
--
PDP

  • Re: cannot send mail from Windows mail
    ... When a username/password combination doesn't work in Windows Mail, ... I mean I dont use it but as outgoing address for my ISP account. ... youir username and password are correct for your mail server". ... Ask your home ISP if they support SMTP on a port other than 25. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: cannot send email. Did Microsoft change the outgoing port?
    ... > weeks ago I suddenly could no longer send email from Outlook Express. ... > other is on my notebook running Vista and Windows Mail. ... Did Microsoft change the outgoing port? ... > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. ...
  • Re: Virus blocking Port25. Cannot send emails from WindowsMail/Out
    ... You can run the tracert command on the email server you are trying to reach ... As long as you keep trying to use port 25, the problem is likely to keep ... About the only way to avoid this is to set up a connection that uses ... with Windows Mail as long as they don't call for the HTTP protocol, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: the connection to the server has failed
    ... The best you can do with POP email is to set your email program to leave the messages on the server after downloading. ... Look at the server settings on the desktop computer to see what you have to enter on the laptop. ... I can't get my mail through Windows Mail. ... I changed to port 587, and made sure my settings matched what comcast ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Port 25 Blocking?
    ... I can receive e-mail but cannot sent through Windows Mail. ... I believe that this is due to Port 25 bloocking but what can I do to correct. ... the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. ... The rejected e-mail address was 'john.islip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)