Re: log in to Windows mail

If you need to leave your computer unattended, the proper way is
to press Winkey+L first. That locks your Windows user account.
The way you do it, the casual passerby can still read your already
downloaded messages, your sent messages, and he can peruse
your private pictures and sensitive documents.

Microsoft has no choice about the requirement for username and
password because that requirement is dictated by the owner of the
mail server, not your email program.

"patrickb" <patrickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:F921B2C3-FF52-4E47-B528-0C82D8E62F93@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My reason is security and hate of typing. I don't want to save both user
nane and password so that if I acidentally leave my machine unattended, one
can not use my machine to send emails using my email address. On the other
hand, I don't want to leave both unsaved since this will require too much
typing to enter both user name (long email address) and password.

Now is MS is so concerned about security, what they should do is to prevent
people to read email email only if proper credentials (user name and
password) is provided. Even with OE, which does provide the functionality I
am describing, I never understood how one was allowed to read emails without
entering proper credentials. I don't buy this argument claiming that users
should rely on vista log in to protect their email. If this is the case, then
don't protect email application with user name/password at alll.....

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

Again, you did not explain the reason behind wanting it that way.
Microsoft totally rethought security aspects for Vista. One of those
changes is not allowing entry of just the mail server password, thereby
lulling the user into a false sense of security. If you allow others access
to your Windows user profile, the lack of a mail server password will not
keep them from reading your already downloaded or sent messages.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

"patrickb" <patrickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:95D271EA-0F92-4976-B52D-FB2B5D4A3A45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Thx for the reply. End result I am looking for is as with Outlook
Express: I fire up Windows Mail. My log in Id is already in the "User Name"
input filed, and I just have to type my password. Pretty much like saving
your log in Id when accessing a web site... you then just enter a password.
This is something MS should fix. This is not asking for too much.......

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

No. You only have a choice of remembering both or neither. What end result
are you trying to achieve? Perhaps we can suggest a workaround.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

"patrickb" <patrickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9F27D41D-574D-4801-AA25-7B22BAB8ED05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When log in to Windows mail, is there a way to save the user name and not be
prompted for user name, but for password only?

  • Re: THEATER 550/650 PRO TV Tuner Drivers - 6.14.10.173
    ... Anything beyond your landing page on their support site will almost ... Have to resort to other means to extract the proper URL. ... Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP ... Read my blog for the latest in Media Center topics ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: SetServiceStatus, returning from ServiceMain
    ... Microsoft MVP, MCSD ... "Brian Muth" wrote in message ... > You need to call ControlService and pass the SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP control ... >> What is the proper way of stopping an atl service. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.atl)
  • Re: Insertion point not visible
    ... then it appears that your Windows User account has a video setting that is impacting the cursor ... Thomas A. Rowe ... FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc. ... >> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage) ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
  • Re: How to open a password protected word file
    ... Make sure you are typing the password in the proper case, i.e., in ... caps/lowercase as needed. ... Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified ... Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: HPS make me buy homepage