Re: I cannot get my email to work

Yes. Either uninstall ESET, or else upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

In any case, any email scanning in the antivirus must be disabled.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Marie" <Marie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:CB509527-35C2-43E5-9B49-1AF2A35BA8E7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yesterday I installed ESET smart security, and now I don't appear to be
getting emails (I'm awaiting an important one.) I get requests to sign back
into windows, and I do, but get error messages:

Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3,
Server
Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server
Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

Is this the same problem the Norton AntiVirus person is having? Thanks in
advance!!

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

Norton antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
Symptoms often don't start until months later.
The only way you can prove or disprove that Norton is the culprit is to
uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Another option (instead of uninstalling Norton) is to upgrade to Windows
Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of overly intrusive
antivirus products: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

In any case you must disable any antivirus email scanning, for the reason
explained here:

Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"jp" <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:55A80BBB-C315-40AD-9DC4-BAC92687F7DD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I keep getting this message:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net',
Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
This error shows up twice, I have two email addresses.

I have windows vista and norton anti virus, the last time this happened I
had to uninstall an update from windows in order to get it working again. I
haven't had any updates since the 11th. It just stopped working yesterday
morning and the night before it was fine. Any help is appreciated.

  • Re: Username and Password boxes keep opening -- then error message
    ... from WM, exited the program, re-opened it and re-added my account. ... Make sure the Windows Firewall is enabled. ... Reinstall Avast & disable email scanning. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: I cannot receive email
    ... This started right after an automatic windows update reboot. ... A likely reason for the username/password failing is account corruption. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ... If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Windows Mail "-ERR invalid command" message
    ... The error "Invalid command" is usually caused by your antivirus program. ... As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ... my Windows Mail program and it seemed to work. ... able to send or receive email through Windows Mail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Cant forward/send emails and log on keeps popping up
    ... So I have removed spybot and I do have Windows Defender activated on my ... Did you try Windows Mail while no antivirus was installed? ... Even disabling its email scanning is often not sufficient. ... Subject 'Fw: Anan Photos Etc', Account: 'Yahoo', Server: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Emails diverted to Drafts folder
    ... I assume you've looked for message rules that could divert incoming ... I do know that antivirus email scanning can cause some bizarre problems. ... Windows Update, we'd be seeing many more reports like yours. ... What do you mean by "Live Mail", Windows Live Hotmail or Windows Live Mail? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)