Re: I cannot get my email to work

Yes. Either uninstall ESET, or else upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

In any case, any email scanning in the antivirus must be disabled.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Marie" <Marie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:CB509527-35C2-43E5-9B49-1AF2A35BA8E7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yesterday I installed ESET smart security, and now I don't appear to be
getting emails (I'm awaiting an important one.) I get requests to sign back
into windows, and I do, but get error messages:

Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3,
Server
Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server
Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

Is this the same problem the Norton AntiVirus person is having? Thanks in
advance!!

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

Norton antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
Symptoms often don't start until months later.
The only way you can prove or disprove that Norton is the culprit is to
uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Another option (instead of uninstalling Norton) is to upgrade to Windows
Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of overly intrusive
antivirus products: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

In any case you must disable any antivirus email scanning, for the reason
explained here:

Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"jp" <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:55A80BBB-C315-40AD-9DC4-BAC92687F7DD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I keep getting this message:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'incoming.verizon.net',
Server: 'incoming.verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
This error shows up twice, I have two email addresses.

I have windows vista and norton anti virus, the last time this happened I
had to uninstall an update from windows in order to get it working again. I
haven't had any updates since the 11th. It just stopped working yesterday
morning and the night before it was fine. Any help is appreciated.

.