How to reinstall Vista from Recovery Drive

Hi, I have the problem with Vista where Updates are downloaded but then will
not install etc. I do NOT have a Vista CD as Vista was preinstalled on a Dell
540 Desktop. I do have the OEM number as shown in system files. I want to be
able to reinstall Vista and hope that will fix the problem - but I don't want
to have to reinstall any programs or lose any files already on the computer.
Can anyone advise how to re-install Vista from the Recovery Drive or
elesehwre on my computer?
Thanks. Neil

  • Re: GRC Spinrite
    ... I don't want to just reinstall Vista and be done with it! ... I've install so many recovery programs. ... When you started with this problem, I kept saying to myself I can fix it and get that drive bootable and virtually no data lost. ... If you just want to reinstall Vista and to be done with it, that should be a piece of cake. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Drag to CD drive deleted network files
    ... The OP is trying to find files from his Documents, NOT system files. ... From an elevated cmd prompt run SFC by typing at the prompt sfc /scannow ... Windows Vista, Win Mail, IE6, and on Vista or if it is installed on XP, IE7. ...
  • Re: Is this realistic? Vista on HD and apps files etc. on another?
    ... If you were to install your programs on a separate drive or partition, the registry values are in the Windows Vista operating system. ... If you were to reinstall Vista, the registry would no long be valid for the programs and re-installation of your programs would be required. ...
  • Re: Security Audit Failure (Event Viewer) tcpip.sys hash not valid/cor
    ... My Vista 64 SP1 crashed two days ago for the first time in months, and reported the same error with the same file. ... Integrity of Vista System Files with System File Checker" ... Keywords: Audit Failure ...
  • Re: error 0x80073712 AGAIN
    ... I bought my laptop brand new in September with Vista preinstalled. ... Microsoft is in a monopol market position so it can treat its customers ... problem was that when Microsoft released Vista, some of the system files ... I was able to install updates!! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)