Re: Installing second copy of Vista hangs

There is also a typo in the last sentence of my post.
I meant to say that the Vista License does NOT support two installations in different partitions on the same drive.
Win7 is more stringent on making sure that you are in fact upgrading or replacing an existing installation.

"Andrew Murray" <admurray.antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ulkfmlzyKHA.5332@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I beg to differ on this issue, and "Curious" is right; you can't continue using the O/S you're upgrading from, whether as a dual boot and certainly not on a different PC. You would need to use the "full" edition licence rather than upgrade to do the dual boot setup as described.

As far as I'm aware, that's always been the case for any 'upgrade' edition of software where you're upgrading to a newer version of a product . In most cases you wouldn't go on using the earlier version of say MS Office or Adobe Photoshop etc, you'd probably install over the top of the existing installation, or uninstall the old version, install the new and place the CD in the drive when it asks for it (and this check is usually done); it shouldn't be any different for operating system upgrades.

"Andy" <N@xxxxx> wrote in message news:#ryVInxyKHA.4492@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Not true you can install it on any drive on the same computer as the windows vista resides on.
and dual boot it each os has its own COA and can be used as a dual boot machine.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Curious" <nobody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uMXu6UqyKHA.5040@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You should be aware that the Win7 upgrade license allows you to upgrade(replace) one previous Vista or XP installation and therefore it is not legal to dual boot it with a version you are upgrading from. This is with the win7 upgrade you are normally allowed only to install it in the partition you that contains the release you are upgrading from. It it is also true that your Vista license is only for one installation of Vista and does legally support two copies of it to be installed on the same disk in different partitions,

"eldiener" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ffe9b406b9f2297bb351952e16240a01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have already been told that I can install my Windows 7 upgrade into a
separate partition rather than in the partition where I have Windows
Vista, so this post can be ignored.

--
eldiener

  • Re: OT: Office 2007 installation warning
    ... Subject: OT: Office 2007 installation warning ... Have installed a dozen Vista setups, from Home to Ultimate, both in X32 ... After upgrading it, no more problems in the last two months (it is my ... To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * ...
    (comp.sys.hp.mpe)
  • Re: Vista Corrupted To Near Unusability -- No Recovery Disks
    ... I like Ubuntu and in fact use it on this machine at work because to use my MVP award of Windows at work would IMHO be illegal. ... However I have tried W 7 and it is much leaner and cleaner than Vista so I can't quite agree that is is simply a trimmed down Vista, I believe there have been significant coding changes. ... I have been pleased with Vista HomePrem: unlike any previous Win installation I used, it ran for more than 2 years without any need for a clean install. ... No solution found at this time, but I may likely post what I eventually do, and that may not involve HP sending me the recovery CDs which I want because of what appears to be a flawed business model. ...
  • Re: 8.04 with Vista Home Premium
    ... disk, so I used GParted from the LiveCD, repartitioned the disk and then ... The unique "problem" I had was that when I booted Vista after Ubuntu's ... Ultimately I canceled the installation, ... in a dual boot with Vista. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Want a HowTo for multibooting two or more Vista versions
    ... The use of XOSL removes the need for each Vista installation to have its own ... logical partitions. ... I have not actually read the license text in these folders, ...
  • asus a8v-vm se mobo
    ... If u are trying to install vista or win7 it is not compatiable OS. ... it uses a realtech driver which keeps getting replace, ... Re: vista sound driver problem ... starts the installation, and choose Properties. ...