Re: Boot manager problem. Very annoying.

Hi, Alan.

You're welcome, of course. Glad you got it solved - and thanks for the feedback. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Alan LeHun" <try@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:MPG.2612d031b2ae1aa989799@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <Omu6oXjyKHA.5040@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
rc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx says...

Vista does not use Boot.ini at all - except when "previous version of
Windows" is chosen from the OS menu. It also does not use NTLDR or
NTDETECT.COM. All 3 of these files can be deleted from your System
Partition (typically Drive C:, but not always).

G in my case. Deleting boot.ini solved the issue. I have now
searched for NTLDR and NTDETECT but they are not present on
this mc.

I assume that you also have
already deleted WinXP's entire \Windows folder tree, since that also is now
ignored.

Many moons ago, but this installation setup option never
appeared until recently.

Since you are familiar with bcdedit.exe, you can use it to remove the entire
entry for "Windows Legacy OS Loader" from the BCD.

I'm a lot more familiar now. I didn't know anything about it
yesterday morning.

Thank you, and Rick, for the help.

--
Alan LeHun

  • Re: Cannot Boot Into any Option for Safe Mode
    ... NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the original XP CD maybe help? ... How To Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP ... An upgrade will probably not fix anything where a clean install might. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Boot.ini question
    ... "Booting" is when the BIOS loads ntldr into memory and starts it. ... "Starting Windows" is after ntldr reads boot.ini, ... whether you use boot, start, load or whatever -- as long as you define what ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Boot.ini question
    ... "Booting" is when the BIOS loads ntldr into memory and starts it. ... "Starting Windows" is after ntldr reads boot.ini, ... It in fact doesn't matter whether you use boot, start, load or ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: ntldr is missing
    ... Make sure that there are no disks in any removable drives when you boot. ... NTLDR is missing, why does it happen? ... Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS. ... Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using ...
  • Re: Boot.ini question
    ... "Booting" is when the BIOS loads ntldr into memory and starts it. ... "Starting Windows" is after ntldr reads boot.ini, ... Then how can it recognize the files to load. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)