Re: No Booting form DVD-Drive

Your testing is flawed, PC's have been booting from CD/DVD drives for over 10 years now.

"Manfred Heuer" <manfred_heuer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uBex46P%23JHA.5040@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello again!

Not really a Vista related question as any computer capable of running Vista will be capable of booting from DVD.

Not quite! We tested it at work: only machines younger than a year could boot from a DVD-Drive.

The older computers are not that old: about 3 to 4 years, with CPUs faster than 3 GHz. But all of them failed to boot from an Install-DVD-ROM.
But you could install Vista as a second operation system.

But we did not try out yet a new DVD-Drive in an older computer, so we would have found out ourselves. That is why we asked to find out without testing it.

Greetings Manfred

If the machine is so old that the BIOS doesn't support booting from DVD, it isn't going to run Vista anyway.

"Manfred Heuer" <manfred_heuer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ee2svpN%23JHA.1376@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

Why do older computers not boot from a DVD-Drive?

Is it the DVD-Drive or the mainboard (with its BIOS or the onboard controller)?

Thanks Manfred

  • Re: Startup list
    ... way to get a real time overview of all the programs that are being installed ... people start their computers once a day or even less frequently. ... When I come back, it's done booting. ... don't know how long it took to boot and I don't care. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Vista Black Screen Blinking Cursor After logon
    ... Try tapping F8 just as Vista begins to boot up. ... This will take you to the advanced boot option menu. ... You can also try again using low resolution booting - in case someone has set the Window resolution above the capabilities of the video system. ... BootRec /rebuildbdc command ...
  • Re: No Booting form DVD-Drive
    ... The older computers are not that old: about 3 to 4 years, with CPUs faster than 3 GHz. ... But all of them failed to boot from an Install-DVD-ROM. ... But you could install Vista as a second operation system. ...
  • Re: Start up and Boot up
    ... My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how ... people start their computers once a day or even less frequently. ... I don't know how long it took to boot and I ... that are slowing down your booting *and* impacting your overall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate and Xp Home Problem...Please Help
    ... Windows XP Associate Expert ... My Oiginal OS is Vista Ultimate SP3. ... I tried to dual boot with XP Home ... booting screen, it allows me the OS booting option which are Windows ...