Re: No Booting form DVD-Drive

Your testing is flawed, PC's have been booting from CD/DVD drives for over 10 years now.

"Manfred Heuer" <manfred_heuer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:uBex46P%23JHA.5040@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello again!

Not really a Vista related question as any computer capable of running Vista will be capable of booting from DVD.

Not quite! We tested it at work: only machines younger than a year could boot from a DVD-Drive.

The older computers are not that old: about 3 to 4 years, with CPUs faster than 3 GHz. But all of them failed to boot from an Install-DVD-ROM.
But you could install Vista as a second operation system.

But we did not try out yet a new DVD-Drive in an older computer, so we would have found out ourselves. That is why we asked to find out without testing it.

Greetings Manfred

If the machine is so old that the BIOS doesn't support booting from DVD, it isn't going to run Vista anyway.

"Manfred Heuer" <manfred_heuer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ee2svpN%23JHA.1376@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

Why do older computers not boot from a DVD-Drive?

Is it the DVD-Drive or the mainboard (with its BIOS or the onboard controller)?

Thanks Manfred

.