Re: Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

"Curious" <spammenot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u6Mo0TG#JHA.4692@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I used Easy Transfer when I installed Win7 RC1 and it worked for all of my files. It does not however transfer any registry settings so all applications have to be reinstalled.

I have all my key files on another drive, D:\User\Tom and I changed the location
of their icons (Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music,
Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos) to point to the new drive's User\Tom
(and D:\User\Paula for my wife's icons). Then I save the Registry location for my message
rules (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Rules).
I've clean installed Windows 7 this way. After the install, I just change the
locations of my personal icons back to the new drive, reinstall my apps (which I'd
have to do with WET anyway), run the message rules .reg file and I'm good to go.
This way, I don't have to mess with WET. All my settings are backed up in real-time.

Tom Lake

  • Re: Adobe Acrobat PDF Maker toolbar
    ... This toolbar launches itself with two icons every time I start excel, ... Neither allow a File to overwrite a Folder, and a Folder can not be ... these files is misssing from office it tries to reinstall them. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.excel)
  • Re: Desktop Icons
    ... Registry settings & layout.dll from MS resource ... > desktop icons are autoarranged upon screensaver. ... > users to restore their icon layout, they are having to do this 4-5 times per ... icons is with third party programs. ...
  • Re: quicklaunch button size
    ... > settings to small icons. ... The quicklaunch buttons, for some reason, are ... > (before I had to reinstall), so know that it IS possible to have something ... Is there some separate setting ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Word wont even open!
    ... reinstall it. ... It still won't close w/o saying there's an error and it takes ... >>> Now place your cursor on each of the icons and wait until you get a ... >>> JoAnn Paules ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Cannot get my icons to stay
    ... I remain reluctant to mess around with the registry settings ... Also no disrespect about the file sent earlier. ... computer says it's fine to download, ... the icons revert to the left of the screen. ...