Re: Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

I used Easy Transfer when I installed Win7 RC1 and it worked for all of my files. It does not however transfer any registry settings so all applications have to be reinstalled.

"BillS22" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ada364811a5d65ce66edcd0d009f1bb0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Help me think this through.
If I decide to upgrade to Win 7 and do a clean install, could I use
Easy File Transfer to retain my Outlook, Web Settings and Files?

I have two internal hard drives, not raid, and an external eSATA drive.
All 3 are the same size, 500GB. So I think I have the resources, I just
don't want to lose data, favorites, contacts, files or emails.

Having never used Easy File Transfer, how should I proceed?
Store my easy transfere to my second HD "D", format C, install Win 7?

I guess I need to buy a version of Win 7 that will read my Vista Easy
File backup...duh... Is Win 7 Pro able to read Vista Easy File
Transfers?

I have two accounts on this computer, mine and my wife's, so there
another issue too.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Bill

--
BillS22

  • Re: Registry settings for MCE 2005
    ... registry settings so Rollup 2 will install. ... I don't remember if I need to install rollup 1. ... say it's for MCE Extender for Win MCE. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Hard Drive Swap
    ... Nor can you recover data ... as some of it is registry settings and user profiles for ... In the end I ran CD-Bassed Setup and chose the Install -> Repair option. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.hardware)
  • Re: Opening and saving data files slow
    ... If I have one file open in Excel, then want have another file opened ... I am not sure why you restored the registry settings, ... re-install. ... If you re install the OS from scratch, then most programs have to be re installed, especially if they are on the same drive as the OS. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: JCL and Btrieve
    ... Most of the registry settings go into HKLM\Software\Pervasive Software. ... The install also places the C:\PVSW\BIN directory in the path ... I want to use JCL to work with my data stored in some dat files. ... Is it possible?or JCL works just with Pervasive PSQL? ...
    (comp.databases.btrieve)
  • Re: Software Standards
    ... suffering a reinstall of the OS, I see the very important need for a national or international agency to mandate these standards. ... bureaucratic meddling in a purely technical matter? ... If any registry settings are modified, the install would export the settings to the Install directory before and after making the mods. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)