Re: Vista won't complete installation

I also was unable to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.
Hung at 74% of "Completing Installation". Finally gave up after an hour
or so (being confused by continued disc access that made me think it
might really be doing something) - and shutdown by holding the power
button. Thankfully when I powered up again it backed out to where I
started. Then it was a search for the log files that would tell me
something. Just searched on *.log in C: setuperr.log in "Pathfinder
(C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources)" looked interesting. at the end of this file
there was an error relating to a service called SYMFW. Googling this to
find out what it was, discovered that it was a Symantec process. Indeed
Norton Internet Security 2009 was installed. I uninstalled NIS and
tried the upgrade to Vista Ultimate again. It worked this time!

Lesson: look at the log files first before trying all of the myriad
suggestions you find on boards like this.:)

--
ecs

  • Re: Having upgrade problems on Emachine T5224 Vista Ultimate
    ... Laptop to be upgraded from Vista Basic to Vista Ultimate and have Office reinstalled. ... Now, I am stuck with a Vista Ultimate upgrade that has been activated, which is fixing to be uninstalled because it is really frustrating me. ... If I can't do this because of hardware upgrades, specifically changing to larger hard drives in the laptop and both my other computers, I am going to be really mad. ...
  • Re: OT: Vista Ultimate Activation / Ramble
    ... I could have easily gotten a pirated copy of Vista Ultimate -- ... The generic OEM or retail (Upgrade or Full) must be activated within ... a full install. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Home Premium to Ultimate
    ... playing Live Search Club and have enough points to get Vista Ultimate. ... I assume this is full version, not upgrade. ... Wouldn't it make sure more sense to simply ask the agency from which you're obtaining the license and installation media? ... you'll be well advised to ensure that you have all of your device drivers and applications' installation media and license keys/registration numbers readily available on off-line media before starting. ...
  • Re: Feel Duped by Microsoft with MCE NOT being allowed to join DOM
    ... Just upgrade the machine to Vista Ultimate. ... there was no problem with MCE and domain log in. ... I am stuck with a computer that does not have this ability as my ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Install Ultimate 64bit with Dell OEM Key
    ... If you have an on the shelf product that you can expire and it meets the upgrade path criteria for Vista, then you install that on the new machine as your second boot path. ... You will enter the product key for Vista when you upgrade to x64 since you are replacing a previous windows. ... > I purchased Vista Ultimate upgrade media retail edition 18 months ago ...