Need help - Windows installer issue - Cannot install updates

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop. For last few days
I have not been able to install windows updates. I get the error with
code 80070641.

After wandering through different forums and suggested solutions, I
followed this path - control panel > system and maintenance >
administrative tools > services > windows installer (double clicked and
saw that the start-up type is 'Automatic'). When I clicked on the 'Start
the service' button in the left panel here, I got the following message:

Windows could not start the windows installer service on local
computer.
Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

Can anybody help me resolve this problem and bring the Windows
Installer back on track?

By the way, later, I did this -

Click Start, Run and type: cmd /k sc qc msiserver
Press ENTER.

Following is the ouyput I received -

[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
SERVICE_NAME: msiserver
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Windows\system32\Msiexec.exe/V
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Windows Installer
DEPENDENCIES : rpcss
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem
C:\Users\Shirish>

Does anyone have any idea of what's going wrong here?
Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Shirish

--
Shirish

  • NewestShareware.com Issue #239
    ... your Windows Mobile smartphone in real time. ... Price: 0.00 ... Download file size: 1899 K ... Improved installer. ...
    (comp.software.shareware.announce)
  • Re: Same problem Windows Installer 3.1 v2 will not install.
    ... Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues ... My Windows Installer 3.1 will not install. ... 2.234: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows update failing
    ... Either malware is causing this, there's interference with the update servers and RPC due to a 3rd party add-on, or the entire issue was caused by Trend OR leftover files from McAfee. ... Can I download a BITS installer and overright? ... I don't think you can move system files from one Vista system to another as in previous Windows OS' due to security descriptors. ... 2/ I think I mentioned that I tried to do a BITS repair and that the repair tool advised that BITS repair was not required - sfc/scannow returns: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Administrator Consoled in Can not install software
    ... I also have the windows installer GPO setting disabled. ... I will be changing the NTFS permissions today like Vera suggested. ... MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ...
  • Re: Windows update failing
    ... Can I download a BITS installer and overright? ... as in previous Windows OS' due to security descriptors. ... 2/ I think I mentioned that I tried to do a BITS repair and that the repair ... Before Trend Micro 2009, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)