Re: Migrate Local to domain profiles with Vista

Hi Kerry,

The domain is actually home.local. The amount of users could be 35. I'm
doing a test run now and I've never had any luck with it. I'm aware of using
WET but I need to get this working in this environment in an automated
fashion and the only way seems to be USMT. Looking for help wiht that.
Thanks for your continued posts.
--
Reets

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

If you are truly using a domain name of HOME that may be part of the
problem. Single level domain names are not a good idea. You can run into
many problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300684

If you are just moving one user it's much easier to use Windows Easy
Transfer. Log on as the workgroup user. Save the files and settings to a USB
drive or a folder on the hard drive using WET. Log on as the domain user and
import the files and settings using WET.

If you want to automate it then USMT is the way. How many users do you have
to migrate?

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Reets" <reets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Yeah I have. I've been working off of it all day and I still can't get
things moved. I will give you some more information and maybe you can
help. I have a computer called "gateway" with a user called smith that has
a local profile. I joined the computer to a domain called "home". The
users' domain name is smith as well. All I want to do is migrate his
local "smith" account to his domain account "home\smith". That's it. I
don't' know why this is so difficult. Moveuser was much easier to use.
Help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to do this in some
automated fashion as well so other computers can be done without all this
trouble. thanks for your response.

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*a*m> wrote in message
Have you seen this link?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722032(WS.10).aspx

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Reets" <reets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi folks. I'm looking for information regarding the migration of local
accounts to domain accounts with Vista. I found a lot of information
regarding the USMT but no information on how to use it. Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks.

  • Re: Cannot login to vista using domain account
    ... MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: ... "Kerry Brown" wrote: ... > cannot seem to login using my domain account when> on ... When I type in my username and password in Vista I> get ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • Re: Maybe it is caused by bad sector
    ... You need to take ownership then give yourself permission to at least read the files. ... Kerry Brown ... MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: ...
  • Re: Dynamic disk status invalid.
    ... MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: ... Afterwards made the disk static and it now works also ... "Kerry Brown" wrote: ... > I'll take the disk out and install it in an other computer running ...
  • Re: DOMAIN_LOGIN PROBLEM
    ... MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: ... No logon script per user or laptop is set. ... "Kerry Brown" wrote: ... >A vista box is joined to a WIN2K Domain. ...