Re: Windows 7 RC

According to most sources the current release candidate is not significantly different than the final version will be.
Who knows.
In my experience the biggest problem with Win7 RC is driver issues, particularly chipset drivers, as usual AMD more than Intel. By and large most Vista 32 or 64 drivers will work with their Win7 counterparts, but by and large is not 100%. Some drivers are indeed compatible but balk at being installed on the "wrong" OS. When this happens Win7 usually offers to reinstall the driver and makes whatever changes are necessary to get the driver installed.
For a Microsoft product that kind of thing is utterly amazing: it actually works. I congratulate Microsoft for finally getting something right.
I believe these kinds of installation issues are the biggest problems that need to be ironed out in the final release of Win7. These are annoyances to experienced users but deal-killers for most users.
While it is always advisable to do a fresh install of a new OS Win7 is fundamentally Vista SP3 and I doubt there will be many problems with an upgrade in place from the Win7 RC to the final version, let alone an upgrade in place from Vista.
While in the past most users got a new OS in a new computer the economy is such that Win7 upgrade sales, if Microsoft can restrain itself on pricing, may surprise a lot of people. Microsoft actually has a very good product in Win7 if they don't, as usual, screw the marketing pooch.

  • Re: Now thats monopoly power...
    ... There's only one driver to maintain for Vista and Win7 ... Microsoft says you ... Pass their tests if they want certification. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: OT: Network continually stalling
    ... 120GB SATA drives are about $20 on ... of the old software will run under Win7. ... hardware so that you don't have peek and poke numbers into registers ... Out of luck on Win7 it is not supported (though 4400 driver might be worth a punt). ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: OT: Network continually stalling
    ... 120GB SATA drives are about $20 on ... of the old software will run under Win7. ... OSes easier, faster and _maybe_ give some isolation and protection. ... No driver for my Mustek 1200 UB PLus; the BabyBird lies saying there is a Vista driver that will work in Win7. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: For Mitch and Alan.
    ... wasn't writing about whether a driver could break this way. ... The idea that the driver model was the same between WinVista and Win7 ... The point in that thread originally was that Microsoft told developers ... before -- compatibility testing and even the Certification program have ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Flash sticks
    ... But the fact that you stated; "Win7 seems to think it needs a driver" means it never reached the point where it even tried to process what was potentially on the drive and if the file system *was* the problem, you should still be able to attempt formatting using the same Win7 laptop. ... One last-ditch possibility, is the Win7 USB generic driver is corrupted, and you might try replacing it with one from either a recent back-up, from the Win7 installation disk or downloading a 3rd-party generic USB driver from the internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)