Re: setting NIC display name with autounattend.xml

I found following article http://blogs.technet.com/rdepagne/default.aspx
that describes the issues and also shows how to fix the problem. I just did
a test installation and it worked... :-)

"Zaphod Beeblebrox" wrote:

"Gunno" <Gunno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Zaphod Beeblebrox" wrote:

"Gunno" <Gunno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi there,

in earlier version of unattend it was easy to set the NIC
setting.
Now with
WSIM, how can I set an NIC display name, to rename it from "Local
Area
Network" to e.g. "Heartbeat".

Also how do I identify a NIC in autounattend.xml? I know that I
can
use the
mac address. But I don't want to use mac addresses in the
autounattend.xml
file.

any idea to both of these questions?

For setting the display name of the interface, it looks like the
Interface section of the Microsoft-Windows-TCPIP component might be
what you are after. I think you'll want to set it in the
Specialize
phase. See
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722430(WS.10).aspx for
more details.

For identifying the NIC, if you mean specifying which of multiple
NICs, I don't know, but see the note on
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748905(WS.10).aspx,
maybe
that will help.

Hi,

I have seen this, but it does not give an hint on who to rename a
network
connection. I guess that's not working.

At least I can addresse the interface when I specify "Local Area
Connection", "Local Area Connection 2" and so forth.

I really hate the given MS example. it's useless and it's not
working either.

but thanks any way.

Sorry I wasn't more help, I've never had to try to do either of those
in sysprep. Have you tried asking in the Technet forums? The people
over at
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistadeployment/threads/
might be able to help.

--
Zaphod

Arthur Dent, speaking to Trillian about Zaphod:
"So, two heads is what does it for a girl?"
"...Anything else he's got two of?"

  • State of existing connections on routing changes?
    ... Assume I have multiple NICs on my system, all of which have routes to ... the interface to which that connection is bound ...
  • [opensuse] eth* connection status via cli
    ... I noticed in Yast, when setting up nics, that it shows whether the interface is connected or not. ... Does anyone know what the command would be to determine if the nic has a connection to the network? ...
    (SuSE)
  • How do I set the source address on a multi-homed host?
    ... I have two NICs (one inside and one outside interface) with NAT activated. ... problem is that every time I establish a connection with a machine on my LAN, ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: CEICW failure
    ... Right now, your PPPoE connection is acting as a NIC, another network ... >> Moose has two pysical nics in his server, ... it fails during the Network Configuration ... >> Call to Changing startup type for DNS returned ok. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Client Internet Access
    ... Broadband Connection" and on the "Router Connection" screen, ... check the binding order of your NICs: ... Connection-specific DNS Suffix. ... internet from any of the computers on the internal network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)