"Ian D" <taurus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:#3j#8bD7JHA.3860@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Gareth" <hotmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4a33a0ce$0$18244$da0feed9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Ian D" <taurus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23yMuKH76JHA.1416@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Gareth" <hotmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4a32ce50$0$18244$da0feed9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<snipped>

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

You will notice that rdisk( ) now has a value of "0". That's because
XP is located on the boot disk.

Thank you.

I tried it - placing the file on the Vista drive root - and it didn't work.

I found a file called boot.bak in the XP root. It's content was:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Glad you got it going. The issue with XP is that you need
the correct value for rdisk( ). If rdisk(1), or rdisk(0) doesn't
work, try the opposite. It all depends on what disks the
boot loaders, and the selected OS reside. It gets more
interesting if you have two XP installations. Are you sure
you aren't booting from the XP drive?

For multiboot editing, try VistaBootPro. It is very easy and
intuitive to use, and fairly powerful. It will be able to add
Win 7 to Vista bootmgr. I've used EasyBCD and VistabootPro,
and much prefer VistaBootPro.

Thanks for your help.

I think I realise why the partition(x) value is 2 in my case. I think it's because the hard drive carrying the XP install is an oem image - they must have set partition 1 as the recovery partition and partition 2 as the XP partition. Most home installs wouldn't do this unless a clone of an oem drive was being used.

Looking at previous posts I wonder if others have found this to be a problem. Most of the online boot.ini example files assume (reasonably) a partition(x) value of 1 but there's little mention that it can be something else. Most of the examples give different values for rdisk( ).

Thanks again!

Gareth.

  • Re: System Config Utility doesnt run
    ... Assuming that XP is installed on C: and is the first partition on that hard ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ... > [operating systems] ... > Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetectmultidiskrdisk ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Possibility
    ... there is not a filename or folder conflict (e.g. both operating systems ... systems on the same partition" is not absolutely true. ... very useful is MS-DOS [from Windows 98SE] and Windows XP both on C: ... >>Win2003 server and Windows 2000 server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Boot.ini
    ... There are several ways to do this, starting with Notepad or any other text editor. ... As posted, your boot.ini is set to default to the copy of WinXP on the second partition of your first HD, but offer you the choice of booting the other copy of WinXP on the third partition of that first HD. ... Microsoft Windows MVP ... My computer asks me to choose between two operating systems to load when it ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Help I have 3 op systems
    ... > This brings up your 'boot.ini' file in notepad. ... > counts starting at 1 for the first partition on drive rdiskbut skips ...
  • Re: Two operating systems on one partition
    ... Two operating systems on one partition is a recipe for disaster. ... See here for a useful walkthrough of how to reinstall Windows clean. ... > computer that came with XP Pro. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)