Re: Wipe Home Premium 64 bit - reinstall XP

"slowpokey" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

It is a sata drive - the controller settings were on AHCI - I just
changed them to compatibility - saved it and then it comes up
with......."press any key to boot from CD --

Ah HA!!! now I get selections but none of them are to start XP from the
CD. I'm not real familiar working with partitions. What do I need to do
here?

Restarted PC and now I get a blue screen that says WIndows setup and
it's loading files and it's listing the different files it's loading -
I'm assuming that is' loading from the disk as it booted from the CD and
I hear it running as the setup is loading files.

Now I get to the point that it's loading XP. I'm reformatting the
partition that is there. SInce I'm not real comfortable with partitions
not sure if that's the right selection but for better or worse that is
what I chose. SHould I have set up a new partition?

As I reread your last message you said to set up a new partition. If
this install fails, I'll set up a new partition.

So we'll see where it goes from here. Thanks for the assistance.

DL;1058275 Wrote:
Thats an inaccessible boot device (HD) did you during the process delete
the
partitions? then create a new one

Have you asertained whether its a sata drive and as such whether you
need to
modify the bios regarding sata driver controler settings (intel Sata
AHCI
controler) if available

And when you say "to start downloading" do you mean it started writting
files to disk

"slowpokey" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:813e8852d562882bca54c563c45b2516@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > >

I did download some winXP drivers from the toshiba site. I got the XP
cd to start downloading then midway through I got a blue screen with
the
information:

A problem has been detected and windows ahs been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart
your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

CHeck for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure
it
is properly configured and terminiated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for
harad drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: OxOOOOOO7B (Oxf78DA63C, OxCOOOOO34, OxOOOOOOOO,OxOOOOOOOO

DL;1058031 Wrote:> > > > >
PS; If you do get the winxp cd to boot then likely as not you have
sata
drive, in which case you will either need to install sata
controler
drivers
from floppy during the installation (F6 option) or ammend bios
settings
for
the corect sata controller

"slowpokey" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:358e054968cd7d754ec3dea59bea2711@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > >>

--
slowpokey > >

--
slowpokey

  • Re: grub with sata drives? - Success
    ... Please post more information on your partition layout. ... You mentioned having two SATA drives, but do you also have any IDE drives? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Issue ~ Sata NTFS Drive Issue
    ... SATA HDD is connected, or does the problem occur *only* when the SATA HDD is ... I don't have a problem with the partition or drive ... but the final result is different between safe mode and normal/safe ... to one of your other drives - why not try installing the XP OS onto that ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Wipe Home Premium 64 bit - reinstall XP
    ... SHould I have set up a new partition? ... Have you asertained whether its a sata drive and as such whether you ... modify the bios regarding sata driver controler settings (intel Sata ... drives or hard drive controllers. ...
  • Re: Issue ~ Sata NTFS Drive Issue
    ... Let's see what happens when you install the OS onto your Seagate 320 GB SATA ... your boot drive with your other PATA drives serving as backup/storage ... I don't have a problem with the partition or drive ... if I boot in safe mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: grub with sata drives? - Success
    ... Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83 ... You mentioned having two SATA drives, ... any IDE drives? ...
    (Debian-User)