Re: Wipe Home Premium 64 bit - reinstall XP

Hi,

It likely means the XP CD does not have drivers available to load the system hardware to prepare for installation. Keep in mind that when XP was released (8 years ago), sata drives were not common as they are now and were not natively supported. This is the most common problem with installing XP on new hardware, and to load them requires a floppy drive. Unlike Vista, XP setup only knows to look for a floppy for additional drivers, the only other option being to create a custom image for install (not something you would do for a single system).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"slowpokey" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:dd2a233667c191a2a7b0a3c31443a441@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My co-worker bought a new toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
It is not compatible with our remote access system which is why she
bought the pc to begin with. I tried to start the installation with the
XP installation CD but it won't allow me to start the process. I figured
out how to wipe the HD but when it still won't boot from the XP CD. I
used the recovery disk to reinstall Vista HP 64 bit.

What am I missing here? It just will not boot from the XP CD. I went
out and changed the bios boot feature to boot from the CD drive and it
still doesn't work.

Help!!!!!

--
slowpokey

  • Re: Help! XP will NOT Boot up!
    ... If you can boot to another XP installation on the computer then you can use Regedit on the working installation and load the System Hive of the broken installation and change the CrashControl AutoReboot registry value. ... The numbers there indicate which Control Set will be loaded depending on which boot option is chosen. ...
  • Re: [kde-linux] grub and grub2
    ... original grub, but Korora boots off of grub2. ... I like the PCLOS boot screen. ... the grub1 installation on one disk alone until I was totally comfortable ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... No one has said either yes or no to the proposed installation as described ... just disconnect the already installed Vista drive, then plug in the blank HDD ... the first of the boot options if it detects WinXP already installed on the ... The System Partition must be a primary partition and marked Active ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... All you really need to do then is to update the startup files on your first HDD. ... Leave the first HDD connected, with the System Partition on it - and WinXP somewhere on that HDD, too. ... Boot from your Vista DVD and click Repair your computer. ... No one has said either yes or no to the proposed installation as described ...
  • Re: XP Boot Issues ...
    ... button), lately I seem to have to boot once in SAFE MODE, then a 2nd ...  Trouble is, when I run CHKDSK, windows ... Windows XP Pro install CD, do a Repair install to find and replace any ... bootable XP installation CD. ...