Re: Partition Issue (Adding Vista x64 to Vista x32 1TB Drive)

Jdr;1057107 Wrote:
"AricCougar" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1c80e5a053070a93f39ed7b6281e4d65@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > >

Partition Issue (Adding Vista x64 to Vista x32 1TB Drive)

My 1TB drive is set up as follows:

C: Vista x32 IE7 + VMwares 300GB (Primary)
D: Vista x32 IE8 50GB (Primary)
E: XP IE6 50GB (Primary)
F: XP IE7 50GB (Extended)
G: XP IE8 50GB (Extended)
H: Win7 IE8 50GB (Extended)
Unallocated 60GB

I need to put a new Vista x64 in 50GB of the remaining Unallocated
space but keep getting this error when trying to partition/format it:
"Disk Management: You cannot create a volume in this unallocated
space
because the disk already contains the maximum number of partitions."

I understand that we only get 4 primary partitions. How can i add
this
unallocated space to the Extended Partition, and thereby make a
partition within it to load Vista x64 to boot up like all the others?

Appreciate any quick ideas. Thanks.
--
AricCougar > > What's the reason for creating such tiny partitions as 50GB?

For handling an unallocated space you'd have to use
Third party application such as Acronis.
Structure your hard disk drive and protect your data
Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is there to offer you the most
comprehensive disk management utilities in one set. A boot manager,
partition and disk editor as well as partition recovery tool,
it is indispensable for those who care about their data integrity
and opt for cutting-edge solutions. Download Free Trial now

For information about the Windows Server version of Disk Director,
please follow this link
'Hard disk drive partition manager - resize ntfs server partitions.
Windows Vista support.'
(http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirector/)

Understood. Okay. I just acquired Disk Director suite 10. I hope it
will solve the problem. And in the future, ill be sure to include all
remaining disk space in the extended partition when im going to be
having 3+1 primary partitions used up. That way i can continue to
partition within it.

To answer your question, 50GB partitions are required for fitting in
all the OS/Browser combinations that we require, while leaving 300GB for
VMWare images of each in the main/first partition. I mistyped, these
are actually 1/2 Terabyte drives not full. That is why there is only
about 60GB left unallocated after the list i submitted above.

--
AricCougar

  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... the PHYSICAL DISK number, ... Partition and Boot Volume as well as other things. ... You should, at any one time, see ONE System Partition and ONE Boot Volume - ... for the typical two floppy drives and assigning Drive C: ...
  • Re: Boot Problem
    ... Right mouse click the dest disk> Advanced> Edit ... but it should eventually boot to Windows. ... I see a lot of posts in here about the ability of Acronis to clone drives. ... I have managed to successfully copy by DELETING partition, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... OS on a separate partition. ... the PHYSICAL DISK number, ... You should, at any one time, see ONE System Partition and ONE Boot ... The name stuck when we added hard disk drives, ...
  • Re: A Dual-boot question; I thought C was always the partition with the running OS
    ... The Server 2003 will then call its partion "C:" Local Disk. ... When Server 2003 starts up, it will call itself "C:" and it will call the WinXP partition "E:", but again, who cares? ... The OS then assigns drive letters to the first primary partition recognized on each successive hard disk. ... Because they're on separate hard drives, ...
  • Re: HDD speeds
    ... relatively small first partition with the OS crap (and, ... the highest sdtr part of the disk, the start of the disk space on the ... bespoke partition space will have much less impact than if they could ... Ecogreen drives make more sense for an always on NAS ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)