Re: Reinstall not working for Vista Home Prem.

tikiman wrote:

Howdy,

I have windows vista home premium 32 bit. Its on a dell inspiron (a
laptop which is a little over a year old). Recently I had to reformat it
due to clutter and possible Trojans on my hard drive. However I cant
seem to get the thing to boot.

-I put in widows vista cd and boot from that
-then hit "install now"
-and choose the "custom" option (not upgrade)
-then I formated all drives (recovery and main c drive)
-and then chose my main drive to install it on
-it does fine copying, expanding, installing features and updates and
then reboots and goes back to that page (of the copying, expanding,
etc... page) and says "completing installation..." with the pulseing
"..." (meaning its still thinking I suppose) and then after 45 minutes
or so it goes to a black screen with a cursor and does nothing else.
-if i try to reboot: it will give me the message for the safe mode
etc...on it and if i choose normal mode it goes to the windows booting
page with the loading bar below it and just sits like that (note: the
over something and never starts).

I have done several reinstallations (with xp and vista) but have never
had this problem before. Any thoughts?

Problems installing an operating system are usually caused by:

1. Bad installation media. Check your CD for scratches, etc. You can test it
on another machine.

2. Bad optical drive. Test by swapping it out for a known-working one (hard
to do on a laptop but you can run the Dell Diagnostics instead).

3. Bad RAM. I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to
get the program from a working machine. You will download the .iso to make
a bootable cd. Burn the file with third-party burning software - as an
image, not as data. Then boot with the media you made (you may need to
change the boot priority in your BIOS so that the optical drive is the
first boot device). The test will run immediately. Let the test run for an
hour or two - unless errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors,
replace the RAM.

4. Bad hard drive. Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility downloaded
from the drive mftr.'s website or Seagate's SeaTools For DOS. You will
create a bootable CD with the file you download. You will need third-party
burning software to do this such as Roxio, Nero, or the free CDBurnerXP
Pro. Burn as an image, not as data.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it fails
any physical tests, replace it.

Note that all of the diagnostic utilities are free.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Remove Vista for XP?
    ... wind up with C and D. You can put Vista in say C, and XP in D. Then your ... [boot loader] ... the master drive and then install ... separate but bootable drives ...
  • Re: Multiple Vista boot options
    ... The additional advantage of this method is you have two bootable drives and systems. ... If the boot drive fails when installed with only only one bootable drive, ... You can still use startup repair in Vista to give you the Vista boot menu. ... My goal was to install XP Pro on Drive 1 rather than Drive 0. ...
  • Re: Booting Vista from external drive violate MS EULA?
    ... of OS install to diff drives. ... Meaning this boots off usb vista, if there is another hard drive ...
  • Re: XP Pro wont boot, safemode wont help, recovery console doesnt h
    ... Win XP Pro installed on a 300GB SATA drive, ... When trying to boot it gets to the standard Windows logo and after ... new install, which AFAIK would wipe the drive). ... the SATA HDD listed in Device Manager in the "Disk drives" section? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Pro wont boot, safemode wont help, recovery console doesnt h
    ... Win XP Pro installed on a 300GB SATA drive, ... When trying to boot it gets to the standard Windows logo and after ... new install, which AFAIK would wipe the drive). ... drives" section? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)